The weekend fast approaches and I thought I’d treat you guys to a pretty amazing breakfast that needs to happen. How about serving these Blueberry Poundcake Waffles up for breakfast Saturday or brunch this Sunday. A piece of fresh fruit and a slice or two of bacon and I’m in heaven.
Talk about being treated to an amazing breakfast, these Blueberry Poundcake Waffles will blow your socks off. This is my kind of decadent surprise for any weekend breakfast treat! Sometimes you just deserve it.
I’ve been playing with this recipe for a while now and love the flavors and textures. Buttermilk is key, and along with the fresh berries, takes this poundcake waffle to a new level.
Family is a big part of this site as well as good food. We are currently enjoying a little time up in Portland with Dave’s family for a few days to celebrate his brother’s 40th wedding anniversary, sneak in a few hikes in the woods and laugh and scratch a bit.
We’re staying at Dave’s sister’s place out in Beavercreek and it’s always been a favorite place of mine. Out in the woods, away from it all and so beautiful. I get to wake up and see GREEN. Big, beautiful trees and an incredible garden where she has blueberries growing like mad (the birds love them) and a crazy variety of flowers, namely dahlias.
With a few trips out and about we’ve already visited the historic Vista House At Crown Point, Latourell Falls and ventured North into Washington to take in the majestic Mt. St. Helens. What an fantastic park to visit. Highly recommend it if you get a chance.
Well speaking of blueberries, these Blueberry Poundcake Waffles are a treat.
I loved the fresh pop of the blueberries laced throughout these buttery, rich waffles. Toasted to a golden brown and topped with more berries and some whipped cream we earned it after a great morning hike with our two dogs Oliver and Kodi last Sunday.
These might have to happen up here one morning too, but in the meantime this Sunday we have plans to make everyone my Baja Yellowtail Tostadas. Hope everyone has some fun weekend plans. Enjoy!
Blueberry Poundcake Waffles
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp orange zest
- 2 tsp orange juice
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- cooking spray
- Fruit Topping:
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 1 tsp orange juice
- whipped cream
- Fruit Topping: In a small bowl mix together the blueberries, sugar, zest and juice. Toss to coat and set aside.
- For the Waffles: In mixer bowl, combine sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs until blended. Add orange zest and juice.
- Whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda in a bowl. On low speed add flour mixture to combine. Next add the buttermilk. Mix just until blended, batter will be very thick.
- Gently fold in blueberries with spatula.
- Scoop 3/4 cup batter onto a greased, hot waffle maker and cook per manufacturer’s instructions. This makes 6 waffles.
- Top with whipped cream and glazed blueberries.