Tender Beef Tips in Red Wine Sauce is a wonderful French inspired comfort food meal. Sirloin beef tips are pan seared and browned while a quick pan sauce is made with butter, shallots, wine and herbs.
Something this delicious needs to be spooned over something like mashed potatoes, but I had polenta on my mind instead. Creamy and cheesy, I made a batch of polenta in my Instant Pot as the beef tips cooked. Easy enough and it all finished at the same time!
Typically one would spend lots of time stirring and keeping an eye on stove top cooked polenta, but I’m here to tell you the Instant Pot makes one amazing version with minimal effort on your part. Check out my recipe for How to Make Instant Pot Creamy Polenta here to get it all done on time or serve over mashed potatoes or rice even.
The simple pan sauce for this is exceptional.
Butter and diced shallots sauté until softened, brown sugar, red wine and beef broth get added to create the sauce that reduces and gets finished with some butter.
I love fresh herbs to finish a sauce off with and thyme is what’s used in this dish.
So there you have it, Beef Tips in Red Wine Sauce. A simple, easy mid-week meal to serve the family with classic French-inspired flavors. Serve over mashed potatoes, polenta or pasta if you like. After dinner I served these No Bake Peach Cheesecake Bars that scream summer in one tasty dessert. Enjoy!
Beef Tips in Red Wine Sauce
- 1 lb sirloin beef tips chopped
- 1 tbsp bacon fat or olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter separated
- 1 medium shallot diced
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/3 cup dry red wine
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 2 tsp fresh thyme leaves chopped
- Heat bacon fat or olive oil in large skillet. Add beef tips and brown on all sides. Stir often, about 6-8 minutes. Remove from pan and keep warm.
- Add one tablespoon of butter to pan over medium heat and sauté the shallots until translucent. Add the brown sugar, salt and pepper and stir. Cook 2 minutes and add the red wine, beef broth and fresh thyme. Bring to a boil, lower heat to simmer and reduce by half.
- Add remaining tablespoon of butter to the reduced pan sauce and stir over low heat. Add cooked beef tips and stir to coat. Serve over mashed potatoes, polenta or pasta of choice.