What’s better than a Sloppy Joe sandwich when you’re in the mood for a little childhood memory and comfort food all rolled into one? These Chipotle Sloppy Joe Flatbreads are my updated version and served flatbread style.
A Sloppy Joe, for those who have not tried one before, is basically a sandwich made of ground beef, yellow onions, ketchup and Worcestershire sauce all served piled up in a hamburger bun.
I like to add a little flavor to mine with a chipotle pepper. Now I like the heat, and usually use 2 chipotle peppers, but have made it toned down a bit for the kids using just one. It’s just enough and oh so good! You be the judge, but I really like the smokiness it adds and the subtle heat factor. Instead of traditional ketchup, I opted to use tomato sauce for less sugar.
Where these are traditionally served on a hamburger bun, meat oozing out on all sides bite after bite, I opted for a handheld flatbread.
Easy for any party appetizer, lunch or snacks, these are a fun twist on an American classic sandwich.
I really like to use Flatout Flatbread. Actually, all of my flatbread recipes can be used substituting my go to pizza dough with Flatout Flatbread. It gets baked first to ensure it stays crispy and the texture is great.
With Dave being a Type 2 diabetic I preferred to swap out my standard white flour pizza crust or flatbread with Flatout’s Artisan Thin Pizza Crust. It’s a great taste and with 50% less carbs of a regular slice, it’s a win win and only 120 calories each!
The other weekend Dave and I were trying to decide if we should have tacos, a good sub sandwich or maybe pizza for lunch. I recalled making these not long ago with sesame seed hamburger buns, but since we were eating in, went to a house favorite – Flatout Flatbread.
I whipped these up in 30 minutes. The crunch of the crispy flatbread holds up well to the saucy sloppy joe meat mixture. With a little cheddar cheese melted on top (because everything is better with cheddar) these Chipotle Sloppy Joe Flatbreads are superb. The memory of mom making these for us was even better.
Just think of all the different ways you can use Flatout Flatbread! The toppings and flavors are endless. Enjoy!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 medium red onion, diced (reserve ¼ cup)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup water
- 8 oz tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 chipotle chile, minced
- 4 Flatout Flatbread Artisan Thin Pizza Crusts
- ½ cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- Brown the ground beef in a large pot over medium-high heat. Drain off the fat.
- Add the red onion and garlic. Cook until onion is translucent.
- Add the water, tomato sauce, brown sugar, chipotle pepper, Worcestershire. Stir to combine, cover and simmer over medium-low heat for 15 minutes. Take lid off an simmer for 3 more minutes and sauce thickens.
- Crisp flatbreads in oven on baking sheet for 4 minutes. Remove flatbreads from oven and divide Sloppy Joe meat mixture over flatbreads, top with cheddar cheese and bake in 350°F oven for 3 minutes until warm and cheese has melted.
- Garnish with reserved diced red onion, cut and serve.
Disclosure: This post was sponsored by Flatout Flatbread, but the recipe, thoughts and opinions are entirely my own. Thanks for supporting the brands that support Keviniscooking!