Yellow rice is a staple in most Latin cooking, namely in the Caribbean. Puerto Rican and Cuban meals typically serve this alongside roasted pork and chicken. My easy to make Arroz Amarillo uses a mix of vegetables, seasonings like sazon and long grain white rice.
What is Cuban yellow rice?
Cuban rice starts off by sautéing diced onions, bell peppers and tomato and adding sazon seasoning for flavor and color. Then the long grain white rice is tossed in and it’s steamed.
Diced pimentos and peas are added and the fluffy rice is typically served along side roasted pork or chicken dishes. The vibrant, yellow, red and green colors are secondary to the rich flavor of the rice.
What I love about Cuban and Puerto Rican foods is that they don’t have spicy heat, but are super flavorful. There are so many techniques to boost flavor and add another dimension. It doesn’t always have to be done with heat or chiles.
Some people are afraid to try new foods from other cultures because it’s not something they’re comfortable with, but I love it and am always up for new flavors. I hope that’s one of the reason you continue to come back to Kevin Is Cooking, too. 🙂
This Cuban rice dish is a great example.
The yellow rice here starts with sautéed onions and bell peppers. Sazon seasoning is added along with chicken bullion for an added flavor boost.
Arroz Amarillo (Yellow Rice Recipe)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 1/2 green bell pepper diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper diced
- 1 roma (plum) tomato diced
- 1 chicken bullion cube
- 1 1/2 tsp Sazon Seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon saffron crushed
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 4 oz pimentos (in jar) drained diced
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir in diced onions, chicken bouillon and Sazón seasoning until soft, 5 minutes. Stir in diced bell peppers, tomatoes (See Note 1). Stir to mix and cook 5 minutes more.
- Add rice to the pot, stirring to coat. Cook rice a minute or two. Pour in 2 cups hot water, stir to combine. Bring to a boil, lower heat to medium-low and simmer 25 minutes, covered, or until rice is tender and water is absorbed completely.
- Remove lid, fluff with fork and add frozen peas and pimentos. Toss to mix in and cover. Allow to rest 5 minutes. Fluff again, season to taste if needed and serve.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.