I make this often as a side dish, but when it’s time for a meal I add diced chicken and in the oven it all goes until bubbling and golden brown. This Three Cheese Potato Chicken Bake is a hearty and filling dish that’s adaptable to make for 2 with leftovers or for a large crowd.
When I first saw this one I had to give it a try. The ingredients intrigue and the cheesy goodness was calling my name. Comfort food at it’s finest, loaded with three different cheeses and potatoes. One scoop as a side is great or bumped up to meal status with a chicken addition, this works on those cold evenings and is not big on prep or ingredients.
I know the crispy baked cheese covering the potatoes looks so good, but what’s even better are the tender, flavorful potatoes and with the sour cream and cottage cheese it’s quite tasty. I know, don’t scoff at the cottage cheese, it really works so well here. This makes a wonderful sauce and with each tangy bite, a little kiss of heat via the cayenne (optional) if you like it that way. I do and think this one hits the mark for comforting and filling.
The diced onion, potatoes and tart sour cream all blend together perfectly.
It may appear a little wet when you remove from the oven, but it absorbs while resting. I added the cayenne and chicken to the original and lengthened the baking time as well. While the original said to use a 2 1/2 quart baking dish I found this not suitable and too wet of a finished dish. I make it in a larger baking dish so it’s not as tall. Omit the chicken if you like and the recipes works just fine.
This Three Cheese Potato Chicken Bake is some hot stuff right out of the oven, so I let it rest 5 minutes and dig in. Enjoy!
Cheesy Potato Chicken Bake
- 1 lb chicken breast or strips thawed and/or uncooked
- 4 medium potatoes
- 1 large onion diced
- 2 cups cottage cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley chopped
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat 13x9" or 3 quart baking dish with cooking spray or butter.
- Peel and cube potatoes and boil in heavily salted water for 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Cut chicken into 1 inch pieces. Set aside.
- Dice onion and place in a bowl with cottage cheese, sour cream, parmesan cheese, parsley, cayenne, salt and pepper. Stir to mix and add chicken and potatoes. Stir to mix and pour into prepared pan. Top with cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until top is golden brown and bubbling.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist's advice.