In this recipe for Strawberry Tarts I made a Chocolate Cookie Crust from butter and Nabisco Chocolate Wafer crumbs with fresh lemon curd and strawberries.
I love desserts as I am sure you can tell from this site’s posts, and one of my favorites are fruit tarts. I decided I would make some as the strawberries and blueberries recently have been incredible. Besides, I have lemon curd on hand and why not put it to another good use!
In this fruit tart recipe I thought it would be great with a chocolate wafer cookie shell and my go to cookies are Nabisco Chocolate Wafers. I didn’t want a graham cracker crumb shell or neither the usual tart pastry dough this time around. Blending the chocolate wafers in the food processor until crumbs and using my pastry blender, or you could easily use a fork, with melted butter to create a beautiful, rich tart base was a cinch.
I scooped about a quarter cup of the chocolate crumb mixture into each individual nonstick Mini Round Tart Pan. Six come in the package and these are super easy to use and clean up is simple.
Over a sheet pan to catch all the crumbs, I start forming the crumb mixture into the tart pans. Using your fingers hold the base of the tart shell pan in one hand and with the other spread the crumb mixture up the sides, pressing as you go upwards. There should be quite a bit left over after so now distribute it over the bottoms of all six evenly. Press to form the tart shell. I sprinkle with a little sugar at this point before baking.
After they have baked and cooled I spread the base of the tart shells with about two tablespoons each of the lemon curd. Be careful to lightly spread to the edges without getting any dark chocolate crumbs mixed in, you want these to look sharp!
Next I washed and sliced my fruit. You can use any kind you like. Here I used strawberries and blueberries.
Form patterns, lay the slices out fan-like, or however you like. It’s up to you, have fun.
After the fruit was laid out on top of the lemon curd I heated some apricot jelly in the microwave and with a brush dabbed the tops of the fruit tarts all over except for the crumb shell. This gives them a great shine and seals the tart. I placed these in the refrigerator until I was ready to serve.
Look at these beauties and the work was minimal!
I was able to whip these out in now time due to the fact i had already had made the lemon curd. But that doesn’t take long at all to make (see recipe link).
Strawberry Tarts with Chocolate Cookie Crust
- 1 box 9 oz. Nabisco chocolate wafers cookies
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter melted and cooled
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 cup of lemon curd recipe
- 1 basket fresh strawberries
- 1/4 cup apricot jam
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with Silpat or other cooking sheet.
- Place cookie wafers in a food processor. Pulse until finely ground. Place in a mixing bowl, add the melted butter and with a pastry blender or fork, toss to coat and mix thoroughly. Press crumb mixture into a 9-inch tart pan or 6 individual tart pan with a removable bottom and press firmly onto bottom and sides to form a crust. Place on lined baking sheet and bake until slightly firm to the touch and fragrant, 10 minutes. Remove baking sheet to a wire rack and cool.
- Spread 2-3 tablespoons of the lemon curd on the bottom of each cooled tart shell and top with sliced strawberries.
- Place jelly in a small microwave bowl and heat for 1 minute. Set glaze aside to cool slightly. Brush the strawberries with glaze and refrigerate until ready to serve.