Slab pies come with all the goodness of a slice of pie, but in bar form. These Slab Pumpkin Pie Bars are made right in the sheet pan and easily cut up for a hand held dessert bite.
Ever have trouble slicing that pie and getting that first piece on a plate without a disaster? Well then these pumpkin pie bars are for you. Plus, there’s no plates or forks to wash! How cool is that?
Slab pies are the new “it” thing for me to bring to parties, No single or double 9-inch pie dish loading into the car and getting that perfect slice later. Nope, these are party ready, potluck friendly and with the holidays around the corner, a perfect hand held dessert treat.
A traditional pie favorite, pumpkin is a classic. Truth be told it wasn’t until a few years ago that I started liking them. So glad I stepped up and gave it another try. I was and am always going to reach for a pecan pie if there was a choice, but this, well this is too good!
With a buttery, flakey crust that gets a quick pre-bake prior to the pumpkin batter going on top and baking, this isn’t too dense with pumpkin filling and the spices and aroma bring back wonderful family memories. If apples and cranberries are your thing instead, try my Cranberry Apple Slab Pie.
I like to serve these Slab Pumpkin Pie Bars plain, with some whipped cream on top, too. I even bruléed a few to happy applause. A light crunch through the glazed sugar is a great nod to the wonderful Crème Brûlée.
- Pastry Dough:
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup ice water
- Pumpkin Pie filling:
- 15 oz can pumpkin
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half
- For the pastry dough: In a large bowl stir the flour and salt together. With a pastry blender or hands cut in the shortening and butter, until small pea size dough balls form. Sprinkle ice water a tablespoon at a time until dough holds together tossing with a fork. Press dough into a ball and knead several times until dough holds together.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a 15x10" baking pan.(See Note 1) with aluminum foil or parchment paper. Pat and spread pastry dough on bottom of pan and up sides slightly. Top with a sheet of aluminum foil and bake for 10 minutes. Remove foil.
- In a large bowl whisk together the pumpkin, brown sugar, spice and salt. Add the eggs until combined and then add the half-and-half. Stir to blend all and pour filling on top of partially baked crust. Carefully place in oven and bake for 30 minutes or until an inserted knife comes out clean.
- Cool completely on a wire rack (See Note 2). Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours to firm up. Slice into 24 squares and serve with whipped cream (optional).
1. They are half the size of a regular baking sheet with sides.
2. Cool pie completely so when it's refrigerated no condensation forms while in the refrigerator on top. No need for watery pumpkin pie!