So it’s Christmas morning and all through the house, not a creature was stirring… except you, making this Peppermint Crunch Nutella Twisted Bread to greet the day! This hits the spot to have with morning coffee as everyone opens their gifts. Or just you before they do!
Heck, you could even make this the night before and have it waiting for you, the family and the other house guests first thing in the morning.
The baking chips I use here are Andes Peppermint Crunch chips, and no I am not getting paid by them I just enjoy their product, or you can use crushed candy canes.
They can be found in most markets around the holidays and in the section where you purchase baking goods and chocolate chips, etc.
This beauty looks like a lot of effort to put together, but it’s not. The main thing is waiting for the dough to rise (1 hour). Schmearing the rolled out dough with some wonderful Nutella, Andes Peppermint Crunch chips or crushed candy canes and almonds, a roll up and then slice and twist.
Come on, you can do this! Don’t be afraid… Santa is here to help. Umm, that would be me, and with these directions you can make this and impress the family, and yourself, this holiday breakfast.
Peppermint Crunch Nutella Twisted Bread
- 1/2 tsp active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water 100°-105°F
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup Nutella
- 1/2 cup Andes Peppermint Crunch chips (See Note 1)
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 tbsp water
- finishing sugar
- Dissolve the active yeast in 1/4 cup of the water. Stir and let sit for 10 minutes to activate.
- Combine sifted flour and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer. Add yeast and the remaining water, and mix on low with the dough hook attachment. Turn speed to medium, and knead dough for 7 minutes. It will come together and dough should hold its shape and be a little sticky.
- Place dough in a lightly oiled bowl. Cover bowl with a damp towel. Set in a warm place and let rise until doubled, about an hour.
- Roll dough on a lightly floured surface to form a 12” x 15” rectangle size.
- Microwave the Nutella for 30-40 seconds to make it easier to spread. Using a rubber spatula, spread in an even layer on the surface of the dough, leaving a 1/2 inch border of dough. Sprinkle the Andes Peppermint Crunch chips and slivered almonds on top of the Nutella and roll tightly and place on a baking sheet lined with a Silpat silicone baking mat or parchment paper.
- Using a serrated knife, split the dough down the middle, leaving one end intact. Twist ends around each other, making sure to keep cut side facing up. Cover dough with a damp paper towel and let sit 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Brush surface of the bread with the egg wash and sprinkle with finishing sugar. Bake for 24 minutes. Remove from oven, and let cool before serving.
- Feel free to substitute the Andes Peppermint Crunch chips with crushed candy canes.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist's advice.