Pounded pork tenderloin gets a marinade of garlic infused yogurt, honey, lemon juice and turmeric for this Honey Turmeric Pork Cutlet that gets topped with a fresh, bright Rainbow Beet and Carrot Salad for an all in one meal. Visually beautiful and wickedly tasty!
This is an adaption of a recipe I saw in a Bon Appetit magazine that was left on my seat on a recent trip. The headline stated “Don’t Fear the Sear!” and the colors for the dish were beautiful.
To properly brown the meat it said, make sure the pan is ripping hot, and don’t crowd the skillet, work in batches. Don’t fear the sear! It’s my new mantra.
These get a quick marinade in a garlic infused yogurt, honey, lemon juice and turmeric. The smell and color is amazing and it’s a simple 10 minute wait until searing the pounded pork cutlets.
I used pork tenderloins that I pounded between plastic wrap. I couldn’t quite get these meaty boys down to the quarter inch they recommended, but did my best and ended cooking them another minute longer for the most juiciest seared pork I’ve had in ages.
The honey gets caramelized on the outside and the flavor penetration is incredible. I also allowed mine to marinate 30 minutes due to them being a bit thicker.
The wonderfully colorful and tasty rainbow beets get sliced paper thin on a mandolin and the carrot are cut thin as well. Tossed with an olive oil, lemon and herb vinaigrette I set them aside to marinate until I was ready to plate. I hope you give this a try!
To learn more about the health benefits of turmeric, check out this comprehensive article on 15 Health Benefits of Turmeric & Why it is Good for Weight Loss (with complete history, benefits, nutrition, side effects and the best recipes of turmeric) by Cindy Wilson, a Certified Natural Health Consultant and Wellness Coach.
Honey Turmeric Pork Cutlet with Rainbow Beet and Carrot Salad
- 1 lb pork shoulder Boston Butt, fat trimmed, cut into 4 pieces
- salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves smashed, chopped
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup honey
- 4 tbsp fresh lemon juice divided
- 4 tbsp olive oil divided
- 2 medium sized rainbow beets scrubbed, thinly sliced
- 2 carrots peeled, sliced thin
- 2 tbsp chopped chives
- 1 tbsp chopped mint
- 2 tsp chopped parsley
- pinch of salt
- Pound the pork between 2 sheets of plastic wrap to 1/4” thick. Season both sides with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Whisk together the garlic, yogurt, honey, turmeric and 2 tablespoons of lemon juice in a small bowl. Place the pounded pork cutlets in a Ziplock or bowl and pour marinade over, mixing to coat all sides. Seal bag or cover bowl and allow to sit 10 minutes of place in refrigerator for 30 minutes or up to overnight.
- Whisk together the garlic, olive oil, 2 tablespoons of lemon juice, salt and pepper, chopped chives, mint and parsley. Toss the sliced beets and carrots in the vinaigrette, season to taste with salt and pepper. Allow to rest at room temperature as you cook the pork.
- Place a cast iron skillet or pan over high heat for a minute or two. Add oil to pan. Working in batches, remove the pork from marinade, allowing excess to drip off and sear on both sides for 2-3 minutes on medium high heat until browned and cooked through. Remove from pan, to a platter and cook remaining cutlets.
- Serve pork cutlets topped with herb dressed beet and carrot salad.