My Homemade Pickling Spice Blend is made with a lot of spices already in your pantry and other are easily available in most markets. This is THE pickling spice blend. The aroma when simmered for a brine is amazing, especially in my Corned Beef recipe!
Warm spices like cinnamon, clove, star anise and cardamom get broken down in a spice grinder, but the other ingredients like mustard seed, allspice, juniper berries, coriander seeds, bay leaves and dill stay whole.
Mix these all together with black peppercorns and store in an airtight jar.
This is my go to whenever I make my own Corned Beef from scratch.
Use with any recipe that calls for a pickling spice blend. Enjoy!
Homemade Pickling Spice Blend
- 1 tbsp yellow mustard seeds See Note 1
- 1 tbsp black mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp whole allspice
- 1 tbsp juniper berries
- 2 tsp coriander seeds
- 2 tsp black peppercorns
- 2 tsp dill seeds
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 8 whole cloves
- 5 green cardamom pods
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 star anise
- 1 3- inch cinnamon stick
- Mix together the first 9 ingredients in a small bowl.
- In a spice grinder add the cloves, cardamom pods, bay leaves, star anise and cinnamon stick. Pulse several times, but do not make it a complete powder. Keep it in small pieces. Add to spices in bowl and mix to combine.
- Store in an air tight container for your pickling recipes. Makes about a 1/2 cup.
- You can use all yellow or all black mustard seeds if one or the other is not available.
- Nutrition based off 12 servings.