This aromatic and succulent Slow Roasted Pork Shoulder is inspired by a Moroccan lamb dish. It is pull apart delicious after getting rubbed with warm spices and roasted with vegetables and fruits. Your house will smell amazing!
Slow Roasted Pork Shoulder
There’s something special about a slow roasted dinner. The aroma permeates the house as the meat renders and cooks with the spices and the juices caramelize on the outside, while the inside is moist and tender.
This Moroccan inspired Slow Roasted Pork is just that, and while served with roasted sweet potatoes, carrots, onion and apricots, this is all made in one pan.
Moroccan food always amazes me in that it skillfully uses meat, vegetables and fruit cohesively in one dish and with generous amounts of warm spices to bring it all together. This is great with lamb as well!
Can I make this in a slow cooker?
A reader informed me he cooked this all at 2 hours on high and 6 on low. Came out great, tender, flavorful, and pull apart delicious.
What’s in the Moroccan Spice Blend?
The Moroccan Spice Blend is made up using:
- black pepper
No salt is added to the spice blend either, but I do rub the pork shoulder with both prior to slow roasting.
What to serve with slow roasted pork shoulder
I like to serve this with large slices of roasted sweet potatoes, carrots, red onion, dried apricots and halved lemons. The vegetables roast along with the Moroccan Slow Roasted Pork. The rendering fat coating and caramelizing the vegetables that were tossed with olive oil and honey. All in one pan makes for an easy clean up, too.
Use the pan drippings and a squeeze the roasted lemon on top, serve with some chopped mint (optional) and this feeds a crowd. Enjoy!
Slow Roasted Pork Shoulder
- 4 lb pork shoulder bone in
- 4 tbsp Moroccan Seven Spice Blend (separated)
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 4 large carrots , cut into French fry-like wedges
- 2 large sweet potatoes , cut into French fry-like wedges
- 1 red onion , sliced thick
- 1/2 cup dried apricots
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp honey
- 3 large lemons , halved
- 1/4 cup fresh mint (optional)
- Preheat oven to 275°F. Allow pork shoulder to come to room temperature.
- Rub salt and 3 tablespoons of Moroccan Seven Spice Blend all over pork shoulder, pressing to adhere. Allow to rest while oven heats up.
- Peel and cut the carrots into thick, French fry-like wedges. Peel and cut sweet potatoes into large, French fry-like wedges. Peel and cut onion in half vertically. Trim edges and cut into thick half inch slices. Toss all in a bowl with oil, honey and remaining tablespoon of Moroccan Spice Blend.
- In a large 13×9” baking dish place the pork shoulder in the center, fat side up and propped up if necessary with a few vegetables underneath. Arrange vegetables and fruit around pork. Pour chicken stock over pork and vegetables. Roast uncovered for 6 hours, or until fall apart tender with internal temperature of 205°F. Baste occasionally while roasting.
- Allow to rest at least 20 minutes, covered with aluminum foil. Remove bone from pork and pull apart or cut into pieces. Serve with roasted vegetables and fruit. Spoon pan juices and squeeze lemons over pork and vegetables and sprinkle chopped mint on top.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.