Tired of ground beef dinners? These delicious Ground Chicken Tacos make for a quick, mid-week lunch or dinner when time is tight and you need to stretch that pound of ground chicken a little when feeding the family. A salsa verde sauce flavors up the ground chicken, too. Taco Tuesdays can be any day! 🙂
Ground Chicken Tacos
How can you go wrong with tacos? What’s fun about these is they come together in no time, people can have fun making their own, and a pound of ground chicken goes a long way with other filling and topping ingredients.
How much ground chicken per person for tacos?
You can make a pound of ground chicken stretch with tacos! Figure on a quarter cup per taco for 8 tacos total.
What kind of seasoning for chicken tacos?
I know the the store bought versions in the packets may seem easy, but so is making your own with pantry spices on hand using less salt. After seasoning I sauce this up with a bit of salsa verde, it’s amazing!
What kind of spices are in taco seasoning?
For my Homemade Taco Seasoning I keep things uncomplicated, but packed with a true flavor punch. Pantry staple herbs and spices are used like cumin, oregano and chili powder, but I find Mexican oregano is best, ancho chili powder because it’s just that, not a mix of chilies, and little salt.
What toppings go with ground chicken tacos?
What kind of tortillas for chicken tacos?
Now if you want to keep it simple, you can use the store bought, pre-formed corn ones, but I think they are terrible. I pick up soft white or yellow corn tortillas or white flour, and toast slightly over my stove burner or grill to char them, heat them up and get pliable.
You could also deep fry in oil for a crunchier version, too.
Serve these alongside some of my Authentic Mexican Pickled Carrots. Enjoy!
Salsa Verde Ground Chicken Tacos
- pico de gallo
- 1/2 head of iceberg lettuce shredded
- pickled red onions
- shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet over medium high heat add the oil. When hot, add onions and sauté for 3-4 minutes. Add the garlic and stir, cook 30 seconds more. Season with pinch of kosher salt.
- Add the ground chicken and taco seasoning. Break up the meat with the spoon. Cook until chicken is no longer pink.
- Sprinkle the flour over the chicken and stir to cook for 1 minute. Add the salsa verde and stir. Lower heat and reduce for 10 minutes. Season to taste.
- Over a hot flame on the stovetop or on a grill, char the fresh, soft corn tortillas on both sides.
- Fill each taco shell with lettuce, salsa verde chicken filling, cheese, pico de gallo and pickled onions.