These Grilled Watermelon and Shrimp Skewers are a snap to make and the smoky flavor from the grill ads a depth of flavor to the sweet watermelon.
I love the use of fresh herbs when mixed with lime juice and a pinch of red pepper flakes that these shrimp marinade in. Cubed watermelon and the shrimp get loaded onto skewers to grill up and dinner is ready.
Whether it’s grilling peaches or pineapples, roasting fresh fruit on the grill brings out a wonderful flavor and adds that smoky touch. Cubing and doing the same to the watermelon here with marinated shrimp is the perfect answer to a light and refreshing meal.
I served this over a bed of buttered couscous, which I had steamed with some fresh thyme.
These Grilled Shrimp Skewers are a light and healthy dinner or lunch, perfect for this warm weather.
One would think the watermelon is too watery, but it holds it’s own on the hot grill and the charred grilled marks prove it. No turning to mush here they are a perfect paring with the citrus, herb marinated shrimp.
Just spoon some reserved marinade over the Grilled Shrimp Skewers and watermelon, top with a sprinkle of fresh mint and serve. Enjoy!
Grilled Watermelon and Shrimp Skewers
- 1 lb fresh jumbo shrimp See Note 1
- 1/3 cup olive oil + 1 tbsp
- 2 limes See Note 2
- 2 tbsp fresh mint chopped
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 small watermelon See Note 3
- 1/4 cup mint leaves torn for garnish
- In a small bowl whisk together the 1/3 cup oil, lime zest and juice, chopped mint, thyme, red pepper flakes, garlic, salt and pepper. Pour half of marinade over shrimp in another small bowl. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour. Set remaining marinade aside.
- Peel and cube watermelon into 1 inch cubes.
- Heat the grill to very high, about 550°F
- Thread the watermelon onto skewers and brush the watermelon with remaining one tablespoon of oil. Thread the shrimp onto skewers being sure to pierce through top and bottom to form a C This will secure the shrimp so they lay flat.
- Grill watermelon on one side for 1-2 minutes to form grill marks. Remove from grill and set on serving tray. Grill shrimp for 1 minute, turning once and baste with some of the marinade and cook for another minute. Set on serving tray with watermelon and drizzle remaining marinade over all. Serve with torn mint leaves.
2. Two limes juiced came to 3 tablespoons juice needed. Zest one lime and use.
3. 1/2 a small seedless watermelon cubed was about 2 pounds.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.