These Greek Chicken Nachos could not be any easier to make and are a great party appetizer or main meal. Loaded with rotisserie chicken, a deconstructed Greek salad and lots of cheese! The chips are made with cut up, toasted whole wheat pitas and are fantastic.
The other evening while waiting on a friend for dinner I was reading a Cooking Light magazine at a newsstand. Who needs to read the bombardment of nasty political madness, right? So before putting it down a photo grabbed my eye of these Greek styled pita Chicken Nachos.
I love to challenge myself and figure out a recipe, and in this case, try of my own version of chicken nachos as I didn’t have the magazine when I was back home to replicate.
The visual of the Greek salad of cut tomatoes, cucumbers and olives all dressed looked so appetizing.
I made these chicken nachos two ways with the chicken. One I just used a rotisserie chicken and shredded the breast meat. The other I poached 2 chicken breasts with half a lemon, some fresh oregano and then let it cool and shredded it. I think that version made for a more flavorful chicken piece atop each toasted pita chip myself. For easy, mid-week dinners the rotisserie chicken is my go to so use what appeals to you.
Directions for both are below.
I sprayed olive oil cooking spray over the cut whole wheat pits triangles and dusted them with salt, pepper and ground oregano.
While they toasted in the oven I then made the salad. Sliced kalamata olives, mini grape tomatoes and a long English cucumber diced was tossed with olive oil, red wine vinegar and some salt and pepper. Some fresh cut oregano added a pop of Greek flavor and I was happy.
I layered the toasted pita with chicken, mozzarella and feta cheese and melted it a bit. Then I added the deconstructed Greek salad (no lettuce here) and some more fresh oregano for a lovely meal.
This recipe originally appeared on Kevin Is Cooking May 2017 and has been updated with new photos and video.
Greek Chicken Nachos
- 4 (6-in.) whole wheat pitas
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt , divided
- 1/4 tsp black pepper , divided
- 1/4 tsp ground oregano , or 1 tsp fresh
- 1 cup grape tomatoes , halved lengthwise
- 1 cup diced English cucumber
- 10 pitted kalamata olives , halved lengthwise
- 2 skinless , boneless rotisserie chicken breast, shredded (about 2 cups) or poached (See Note 3)
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese , shredded
- 1/2 cup feta cheese , crumbled
- 2 tbsp fresh oregano , leaves only
- Preheat oven to 400°F. If poaching your own chicken instead of using rotisserie chicken do that step first as mentioned in Note 3 below.
- Cut each pita round in half, then cut each pita half into 4 wedges. Divide the 32 pita chips on 2 large baking sheets and spray with cooking spray. Sprinkle kosher salt, black pepper and ground oregano (See Note 1) on top of all. Bake for 5-6 minutes or until browned. Cool 10 minutes.
- While pita is toasting in oven whisk together olive oil, vinegar, kosher salt, pepper and ground oregano (See Note 2) in a medium bowl. Add the tomatoes, cucumber, and olives, tossing to coat all. Set aside.
- Arrange pita chips all on one baking sheet so they overlap. Top with shredded chicken, mozzarella, and feta cheese. Bake another 3 minutes or until cheese melts. Top with salad mixture and fresh oregano. Serve immediately.