With ingredients like mozzarella cheese sticks, some deli meat and pesto, the chicken I had on hand transformed in no time into a delicious dinner. This Cheesy Prosciutto Stuffed Chicken with Pesto is on the table in 30 minutes and the flavors? Wow! This one delivers!
Cheesy Prosciutto Stuffed Chicken
Whenever I get a little twinge of hunger, sometimes I grab an apple and some mozzarella cheese sticks and I’m good to go until dinner.
For this Prosciutto Stuffed Chicken I decided to wrap each mozzarella stick around a piece of prosciutto (or you can do it with salami, too) and stuffed a chicken breast by slicing a nice pocket into each one.
Two or three wrapped cheese sticks should do the trick per chicken breast.
It will depend on the size of your chicken breast, these were monsters I picked up at the new Sprouts that opened nearby.
Secure the pocket opening on each breast with toothpicks before cooking to seal the flavor and cheese inside each.
With a little salt and pepper, a 2 minute pan sear on both sides then some white wine went in the pan. I covered the chicken and let them cook on low for 10 minutes.
These were beautifully cooked, tender, juicy and so good!
I had made some pasta the evening before and still had some fresh pesto. This was spooned on top and I sprinkled a little more parmesan cheese on top before serving.
Talk about good! The gooey mozzarella cheese and the salty prosciutto inside was delicious and the pan sauce? WOW, this drizzled on top was fantastic and so easy. I served these with a side of sautéed zucchini and dinner was done.
Watch how to make this below!
Cheesy Prosciutto Stuffed Chicken with Pesto
- 1.5 - 2 lbs chicken breasts (See Note 1)
- 12 mozzarella cheese sticks (See Note 2)
- 12 slices prosciutto or salami
- kosher salt
- black pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup pesto
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- Wrap each mozzarella cheese stick with a piece of prosciutto. Set aside.
- Slice a pocket into the side of each chicken breast horizontally. Insert 2-3 prosciutto wrapped mozzarella sticks inside and secure with toothpicks.
- In a large skillet add the olive oil and butter over medium heat. Season each chicken breast on both sides with salt and pepper. Brown on each side for several minutes. Add the white wine and cover immediately. Turn heat to low and cook for 10 minutes or until internal temperature is 165°F.
- Remove toothpicks and serve with topped with a spoonful of pesto and Parmesan cheese. Spoon pan juices over all.
- I typically make this using four chicken breasts.
- The other day I saw these already made up in the deli section of a market, I think it was Trader Joe's. They look perfect!