With Father’s Day coming up on us fast I thought a home cooked show stopper that looks like you slaved all day but didn’t dinner was in store. Behold these beyond tender Baked Beef Short Ribs with Gremolata. Dad (or your hubby) will be proud… and thankful!
Instead of braising these Baked Beef Short Ribs with Gremolata get covered and slowly baked to render and get beyond tender. The herb and citrus gremolata is served over to accent and cut through the richness of the dish.
Don’t be shocked at the size of these either, they shrink down quite a bit. These beefy short ribs get a liberal amount of kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to start. Look at these beauties!
After their salt and pepper rub all these bad boys need next is a cup of beef broth or water to add to the roasting pan. Place the ribs meaty side up in the pan, cover pan with aluminum foil and cook in a 325°F oven until meat is tender, 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
Uncover the roasting pan and bump up the oven temperature to 400°F. Roast until ribs are browned on top, about 25 minutes longer.
A typical gremolata is simply fresh herbs chopped and mixed with garlic, lemon zest and juice, olive oil and breadcrumbs. This one gets kicked up with a slight punch from prepared horseradish (or grated peeled horseradish) and it is wonderful.
No knives required for this dinner! The tender, baked beef short ribs easily give way and fall apart with the fork alone.
The herb and citrus gremolata is served over to accent and cut through the richness of the fall apart tender meat.
- 4 lbs 10” English-style bone-in beef short ribs (See Note 1)
- Kosher salt
- Ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 2 garlic cloves , finely minced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tbsp prepared horseradish
- 1 tbsp finely grated lemon zest
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Generously season ribs all over with salt and pepper. Allow to rest one hour or overnight, uncovered and refrigerated.
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Toast Panko breadcrumbs on a rimmed baking sheet until golden brown, 8–10 minutes. Let cool, set aside.
Add a cup of beef broth or water to add to the roasting pan. Place the ribs meaty side up in the pan, cover pan with aluminum foil and bake in oven until meat is tender, 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
- While ribs bake mix garlic, parsley, horseradish, lemon zest and juice, breadcrumbs, and oil in a small bowl. Season gremolata with salt and pepper to taste.
- Uncover the roasting pan and bump up the oven temperature to 400°F. Roast until ribs are browned on top, about 25 minutes longer.
- Top short ribs with gremolata and serve.
1. Pre-cooked, each beef short rib is about one pound each.