I received some inquiries to my Matchstick Apple and Celery Salad that I had mentioned was the side dish for my Homemade Chorizo Meatballs in Cilantro Masa Cups so here it is. So glad I took some pictures, one never knows!
The idea was that I needed a palette cleanser type salad to go with the spicy chorizo meatballs. This sure did the trick.
I also love the simplicity of it. Made it in a hot second, too. Easy is good, very good.
I always keep in my refrigerator a batch of some easy pickled red onions. I just slice one red onion very thin, cover the onion slices with rice wine vinegar and allow to marinate for a minimum of 30 minutes and keep them, if they last that long, for at least a week refrigerated. I use them in everything.
I had some cold, Pink Lady apples ready to go and broke out my trusty mandolin. I wanted something matchstick in shape and went to work.
I sliced the celery on the bias fairly thin too.
Adding some honey to a bit of the red onion rice wine vinegar juice, some olive oil, a little kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper made for the vinaigrette.
I diced some pecans and broke out some fresh herbs. My choices were mint, cilantro and basil. Chop, chop and in they went. I allowed this to marinate while the Chorizo Meatballs baked, which was 18 minutes and served it up. Enjoy!
This Apple and Celery Salad comes together quickly with fresh, cold apples, celery, pecans, mint, cilantro and basil tossed in a light vinaigrette.
- 1 red onion , thinly sliced
- rice wine vinegar , to cover
- 1 Pink Lady apple , cut matchstick
- 2 stalks celery , slice thin on bias
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp honey
- kosher salt
- cracked black pepper
- 1/4 cup pecans
- Thinly slice a red onion and cover with rice wine vinegar. Refrigerate for a minimum of 30 minutes.
- Using a food mandoline, cut the apple into matchstick pieces. Slice the celery thin, on the bias and mix with the apple matchsticks in a bowl.
- In a small bowl whisk together the olive oil, 4 tablespoons of the rice wine vinegar from the marinating red onions, honey, a pinch of kosher salt and some fresh cracked black pepper.
- Roughly chop some of the the marinated red onion and add to the apple, celery bowl. Rough chop the pecans, a few leaves of mint and basil as well as a few sprigs of cilantro. Add to the apple/celery mix and pour vinaigrette over. Toss to coat completely and refrigerate until ready to serve.