Need a refreshing, quick and easy salad, then this Matchstick Apple and Celery Salad is the one for you!
Apple and Celery Salad
I also love the simplicity of it. Made it in a hot second, too. Easy is good, very good.
I always keep in my refrigerator a batch of some easy pickled red onions. I just slice one red onion very thin, cover the onion slices with rice wine vinegar and allow to marinate for a minimum of 30 minutes and keep them, if they last that long, for at least a week refrigerated. I use them in everything.
I had some cold, Pink Lady apples ready to go and broke out my trusty mandolin. I wanted something matchstick in shape and went to work.
I sliced the celery on the bias fairly thin too.
Adding some honey to a bit of the red onion rice wine vinegar juice, some olive oil, a little kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper made for the vinaigrette.
I diced some pecans and broke out some fresh herbs. My choices were mint, cilantro and basil. Chop, chop and in they went. I allowed this to marinate while the Chorizo Meatballs baked, which was 18 minutes and served it up. Enjoy!
Matchstick Apple and Celery Salad
- 1 red onion , thinly sliced
- rice wine vinegar , to cover
- 1 Pink Lady apple , cut matchstick
- 2 stalks celery , slice thin on bias
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp honey
- cracked black pepper
- 1/4 cup pecans
- Thinly slice a red onion and cover with rice wine vinegar. Refrigerate for a minimum of 30 minutes.
- Using a food mandoline, cut the apple into matchstick pieces. Slice the celery thin, on the bias and mix with the apple matchsticks in a bowl.
- In a small bowl whisk together the olive oil, 4 tablespoons of the rice wine vinegar from the marinating red onions, honey, a pinch of kosher salt and some fresh cracked black pepper.
- Roughly chop some of the the marinated red onion and add to the apple, celery bowl. Rough chop the pecans, a few leaves of mint and basil as well as a few sprigs of cilantro. Add to the apple/celery mix and pour vinaigrette over. Toss to coat completely and refrigerate until ready to serve.