Tex Mex Barbacoa Beef
For my Barbacoa Beef I start with chunks of beef chuck that get seared and browned on all sides then simmered in beef broth, chipotle, adobo, vinegar, citrus juice and spices for fall apart delicious shredded beef that’s perfect in tacos and burritos.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time6 hrs
Total Time6 hrs 15 mins
- 4 lbs chuck roast
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 3/4 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 limes juiced
- 6 garlic cloves
- 4 chipotle chiles adobo sauce
- 4 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp Mexican oregano (See Note 1)
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 4 bay leaves
Slow Cooker Method - Barbacoa Beef:
Cut the beef into about 4-6 chunks and season with salt and pepper. Sear on all sides in a hot pan with oil (optional) and add to slow cooker.
In a blender add all other ingredients except bay leaves and puree. Pour sauce over beef, add the bay leaves and slow cook for 6 hours.
Remove lid and shred beef with forks. Serve as is or allow to cool and keep refrigerated in an airtight container.
Pressure Cooker Method - Barbacoa Beef:
Cut the beef into about 4-6 chunks and season with salt and pepper. Sear on all sides in a hot pan with oil (optional, See Note 3) and add to pressure cooker that has been sprayed with cooking spray to not stick.
In a blender add all other ingredients except bay leaves and then puree. Pour sauce over beef, add the bay leaves and close lid. Cook for 35 minutes on low after pressure cooker value starts ticking, keeping steady pressure. (See Note 4)
Remove lid per manufacturer's instructions and shred beef with forks. Serve as is, or allow to cool and keep refrigerated in an airtight container.
- The herb that makes this is Mexican oregano, but regular oregano works just as well.
- For pickled red onions: Slice 1/2 red onion thinly and cover with rice wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar for at least 1 hour.
- Searing the beef on all sides first allows for a level of flavoring with caramelization. This is optional, I like the crunchy texture on the edges.
- I use a Instant Pot that is basically a pressure cooker, slow cooker, rice cooker and more all in one machine. It's awesome! Please read your pressure cooker instructions for exact cooking time as time may vary.
- If you're converting meat from a slow cooker to an Instant Pot, follow this rule: if the meat dish cooks in eight hours on low or four hours on high in the slow cooker, it will cook in 25-30 minutes in the Instant Pot. Make sure the Instant Pot setting reads "sealing" and not "venting" to ensure it's cooked properly.
Calories: 443kcal | Carbohydrates: 3g | Protein: 44g | Fat: 28g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Cholesterol: 156mg | Sodium: 687mg | Potassium: 834mg | Fiber: 1g | Vitamin A: 180IU | Vitamin C: 6.4mg | Calcium: 65mg | Iron: 5.9mg