Green Chili Chicken with Beans
My Green Chili Chicken and Beans is a Southwest comfort food recipe using Hatch green chiles, rotisserie chicken and canned white beans with a fresh sage.
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time40 mins
Total Time1 hr
Servings: 6 servings
- 1 lb roasted chicken meat (See Note 1)
- 3 tbsp butter
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 7 green onions chopped
- 4 ribs of celery chopped
- 3 carrots diced small
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 30 oz canned white beans (2-15 ounce cans, do not drain)
- 8 oz green chilies (2-4 ounce cans)
- 8 fresh sage leaves chopped (See Note 2)
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
Chop or tear the chicken into bite size pieces. Set aside.
In a large stock pot melt the butter over medium heat. Add the garlic, stirring and sauté for a minute.
Add the chopped vegetables and continue to cook for 5 minutes, stirring and scraping the bottom of pot.
Season with kosher salt, black pepper, ground cumin and chopped sage. Stir and sauté several minutes.
Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables and stir, cook for another minute.
Add the white wine and green chiles and white beans, stirring to mix.
Next stir in the roasted chicken and chicken broth. Turn heat to high and bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer and continue to cook for 30 minutes.
- I keep it simple and use a rotisserie chicken. Use all breast meat or all dark meat. Chop or tear into bite size pieces.
- 1 use 8 large sage leaves, when chopped equals about 2 tablespoons.
Calories: 435kcal | Carbohydrates: 45g | Protein: 37g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 82mg | Sodium: 594mg | Potassium: 1166mg | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 5554IU | Vitamin C: 11mg | Calcium: 162mg | Iron: 6mg