Honey Lime Chipotle Chicken Tacos
These easy Honey Lime Chipotle Chicken Tacos are a smash hit every time. Whether grilled or sautéed in a pan, the citrus marinade with warm spices, fresh herbs and honey just pack in with flavor. Prep time includes 1 hour marinade.
Prep Time1 hr 6 mins
Cook Time14 mins
Total Time1 hr 20 mins
Servings: 6 servings
- 2 lbs chicken breasts large, boneless (See Note 1)
- 3 tbsp olive oil separated
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 1 tbsp lime zest
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tsp chipotle chili powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
- 1/8 tsp kosher salt
- 12 corn tortillas
- 2 cups green cabbage shredded or julienned
- 1 cup red cabbage shredded or julienned
- 1 carrot shredded or julienned
- 1 Honey Crisp apple (or apple of choice) shredded or julienned
- 1/2 cup Ranch dressing (See Note 2)
- kosher salt and pepper to taste
- 2 limes for garnish
- cilantro for garnish
In a medium size bowl, stir together 2 tablespoons of olive oil, lime juice, lime zest, honey, chipotle chili and garlic powders, cumin, cilantro and salt until well combined. Reserve 1/3 cup of the marinade.
Pour marinade over chicken breasts in container and let soak covered in the refrigerator for 1 hour (See Note 3).
Place shredded cabbage, carrot and apple in a bowl. Pour Ranch dressing over apple slaw mixture and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
Add remaining tablespoon of oil to hot skillet. Cook chicken for 1-2 minutes or until golden brown on medium-high. Baste with marinade, then turn and cook the other side for 1-2 minutes. Baste again, cover and cook on low for 10 minutes (and discard any remaining marinade). Transfer to plate, cover loosely with foil to keep warm until serving.
Slice or shred chicken for tacos. Using corn tortillas, layer chicken then top with slaw, cilantro and spoon reserved marinade over at time of serving with limes.
- Slice each breast horizontally for two pieces if extra large breasts.
- You can substitute plain Greek yogurt or Mexican Cream if available.
- I have found that longer than 1 hour the chicken starts to develop a “skin” due to the citrus juice slowly “cooking” it. Some people marinate for 2-4 hours, but it’s up to you. With the marinade to baste while cooking and the reserved to spoon on top after, the flavors are definitely there.
- Feel free to use a pre-shredded package of cabbage slaw mix for the first 3 Apple Slaw ingredients.
Calories: 538kcal | Carbohydrates: 49g | Protein: 36g | Fat: 23g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 103mg | Sodium: 511mg | Potassium: 907mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 18g | Vitamin A: 2500IU | Vitamin C: 34.5mg | Calcium: 93mg | Iron: 2.3mg