These Honey Lime Chipotle Chicken Tacos are a smash hit every time. Grilled or sautéed, the citrus marinade, warm spices, fresh herbs & honey make it a flavor explosion. With an easy Ranch Apple Slaw on top, these are fantastic tacos.
Chipotle Chicken Tacos
Tacos are great anytime, and these Chipotle Chicken Tacos are a cinch to make, with or without a grill.
With an easy marinade made with most items already in your pantry, this Honey Lime Chipotle Chicken needs only an hour to marinate and really packs in the flavor.
Reserve some of that marinade for pouring over the chicken tacos and you’re set, too. Whether you want to grill it or cook it on your stovetop, this one is sure to be a hit. Basting as this cooks adds flavor, the honey caramelizes and the layers of flavor are amazing.
Sticky sweet with a fantastic bite of heat from the chipotle powder, the cumin, lime and cilantro are some of my favorite flavors and make this a go to recipe.
The sweet heat from the sauce drizzled over the tacos is wonderful countered with a squeeze of fresh lime.
I like to use corn tortillas and char them a little on the grill or the open flame on your stove top.
I am loving the slaw. Apple slaw to be exact.
I shred green and red cabbage, carrot and a Honey Crisp apple (or your choice), toss it all in some Ranch dressing (recipe for my Homemade Buttermilk Ranch Dressing) and the crunch with the tender chipotle chicken is spot on. The tangy, creamy Ranch mixed with the apple is wonderful and cools the chipotle so you go back for more, bite after bite. Enjoy!
For other chipotle recipes, try my:
- Ancho Chipotle Chili Lime Grilled Shrimp
- Chipotle Cheeseburger Flatbread Melts
- Chipotle Potato Corn Chowder
For more taco ideas, try my:
Honey Lime Chipotle Chicken Tacos
- 2 lbs chicken breasts large, boneless (See Note 1)
- 3 tbsp olive oil separated
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 1 tbsp lime zest
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tsp chipotle chili powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 12 corn tortillas
- 2 cups green cabbage shredded or julienned
- 1 cup red cabbage shredded or julienned
- 1 carrot shredded or julienned
- 1 Honey Crisp apple (or apple of choice) shredded or julienned
- 1/2 cup Ranch dressing (See Note 2)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 limes for garnish
- cilantro for garnish
- In a medium size bowl, stir together 2 tablespoons of olive oil, lime juice, lime zest, honey, chipotle chili and garlic powders, cumin, cilantro and salt until well combined. Reserve 1/3 cup of the marinade.
- Pour marinade over chicken breasts in container and let soak covered in the refrigerator for 1 hour (See Note 3).
- Place shredded cabbage, carrot and apple in a bowl. Pour Ranch dressing over apple slaw mixture and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
- Add remaining tablespoon of oil to hot skillet. Cook chicken for 1-2 minutes or until golden brown on medium-high. Baste with marinade, then turn and cook the other side for 1-2 minutes. Baste again, cover and cook on low for 10 minutes (and discard any remaining marinade). Transfer to plate, cover loosely with foil to keep warm until serving.
- Slice or shred chicken for tacos. Using corn tortillas, layer chicken then top with slaw, cilantro and spoon reserved marinade over at time of serving with limes.
- Slice each breast horizontally for two pieces if extra large breasts.
- You can substitute plain Greek yogurt or Mexican Cream if available.
- I have found that longer than 1 hour the chicken starts to develop a “skin” due to the citrus juice slowly “cooking” it. Some people marinate for 2-4 hours, but it’s up to you. With the marinade to baste while cooking and the reserved to spoon on top after, the flavors are definitely there.
- Feel free to use a pre-shredded package of cabbage slaw mix for the first 3 Apple Slaw ingredients.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist's advice.