Chipotle Pumpkin Soup
This Chipotle Pumpkin Soup is super easy to make using chicken broth, pumpkin purée, spices and a few texture toppings, the slightly sweet heat is amazing. Adapted from Bobby Flay's MESA Grill Cookbook.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time25 mins
Servings: 4 servings
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 3 cups pumpkin puree (not flavored pie filling)
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tsp chipotle puree (See Note 1)
- 3/4 cup Mexican crema creme fraiche or sour cream
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup toasted pumpkin seeds
Whisk the pumpkin puree into the chicken stock in a large saucepan over medium high heat until smooth. Lower heat to a simmer and add the cinnamon, ginger, allspice, nutmeg, honey, maple syrup and chipotle. Cook for 15 minutes. Add water if the soup gets too thick.
Remove from the heat and whisk in 1/4 cup of the Mexican crema and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Laddle into soup bowls and drizzle remaining crema in circular motion on top and a handful of the pumpkin seeds.
- I mash one chipotle pepper, or empty a small can of chipotle peppers and the adobo sauce into a food processor and purée. Store remaining purée in an air tight container in the refrigerator for other uses.
Calories: 380kcal | Carbohydrates: 48g | Protein: 15g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 34mg | Sodium: 709mg | Potassium: 843mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 27g | Vitamin A: 28795IU | Vitamin C: 8.4mg | Calcium: 157mg | Iron: 4.2mg