Grilled Monterey Chicken
This is my version of the classic Chili's Monterey Chicken recipe where I cook the chicken on the grill instead of stove top and does it ever make a difference! BBQ sauce, bacon, and peppers instead of tomatoes, make this Grilled Monterey Chicken a dinner your whole family will love.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Total Time25 mins
- 4 chicken breasts boneless skinless (See Note 1)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 4 slices bacon sliced
- 1 cup BBQ sauce
- 4 slices Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 2 green onions chopped (green parts only)
Cut the green onion tops and red bell pepper into dice. Set aside.
Slice bacon into small 1/4" pieces. In a skillet over medium heat cook bacon until crispy. Set aside to drain on a paper towel. (See Note 2)
In a small bowl mix together the chili and garlic powders with the salt and pepper. Rub oil on chicken and press spices on both sides. Set aside.
Preheat grill to 350°F. Clean grill grates. Place chicken on grill, baste with BBQ sauce and cook for 4 minutes. Turn, baste with BBQ sauce and cook another 4 minutes and continue cooking until it reaches an internal temperature of 165°F depending on thickness of chicken. Brush again with BBQ sauce.
Place a slice of cheese on each breast and top with half of the bacon.
Close the grill and let the cheese melt, about 1 minute.
Serve with remaining bacon, green onion and red bell pepper sprinkled on top.
- Pound the chicken breasts to about 3/4" to get as even as possibly for even grilling. Or if really large, slice horizontally.
- Save that bacon fat, it's liquid gold! I use it to fry potatoes and other foods to add that extra flavor punch. I store it in a resealable jar in the refrigerator after cooling.
Calories: 614kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 58g | Fat: 27g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 184mg | Sodium: 969mg | Potassium: 1117mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 24g | Vitamin A: 620IU | Vitamin C: 19.2mg | Calcium: 248mg | Iron: 1.7mg