Citrus Pepper and Celery Salad
Citrus Pepper and Celery Salad.The underrated celery gets elevated here with egg, herbs, citrus, and other goodies you just must try. So good it’s a meal! Adapted from Yotam Ottolenghi's Celery Salad with Feta in Plenty More.
Prep Time30 mins
Total Time30 mins
Servings: 2 servings
- 4 celery stalks thinly sliced diagonally
- 1 red and green bell pepper thinly sliced into strips
- 1/2 medium red onion thinly sliced
- 4 radishes thinly sliced
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 cups grapefruit segments
- 1 tsp sumac (or lemon zest optional)
- 2/3 cups celery leaves
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves chopped
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley chopped
- 3 tbsp capers drained
- 1 jalapeno pepper diced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup feta cheese crumbled
- kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper
Place the sliced celery, bell peppers, red onion and radishes in a bowl, sprinkle with the sugar and a rich of kosher salt. Toss to mix well and set aside for 20 minutes.
In a small bowl add the grapefruit segments and sumac (See Note #1) and toss to coat. Set aside.
Add the grapefruit segments and the juice, celery leaves, herbs, capers, chiles (See Note #2), and olive oil to the softened vegetables. Stir to mix and season with salt an freshly cracked black pepper to taste.
Gently peel the soft boiled egg (See Note #3) and break in half over the salad. Top with crumbled feta cheese crumbles, freshly cracked black pepper and a drizzle of olive oil.
1. If using fresh, slice the stop and bottom off, then cut down the sides, following the fruit’s contours to remove the skin and whit pith. Over the bowl of macerating vegetables, cut between the membranes to remove the individual fruit segments. This same technique can be used on a lemon.
2. Feel free to use a fresh jalapeño or serrano chile pepper. Always use gloves when working with peppers and or thoroughly wash your hands after.
3. Before serving bring a pan of boiling water to the boil and gently add the eggs with a slotted spoon. and simmer for 6 minutes. Remove with slotted spoon and run under cold running water until easy to handle.
Calories: 418kcal | Carbohydrates: 35.2g | Protein: 15.2g | Fat: 26.6g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2.8g | Monounsaturated Fat: 13.4g | Cholesterol: 193.3mg | Sodium: 802mg | Fiber: 7.5g | Sugar: 25.4g