No Bake Blackberry Tarts with Blueberry Cashew Cream
These No Bake Blackberry Tarts have no sugar added, are dairy and gluten free. Tart shell is made from nuts and dates with a blueberry cashew cream filling. The prep time does not include soaking the cashews overnight in water.
Prep Time20 mins
Total Time20 mins
Servings: 4 servings
- Tart Shells
- 1 cup raw unsalted almonds
- 1 cup raw unsalted walnuts
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 8 Medjool dates pits removed
- 2 tbsp water
- Cream Filling
- 2 cups raw unsalted cashews (soaked in water overnight)
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp ground vanilla beans or 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup freeze dried blueberries optional
- 2 cups blackberries washed, or berry of choice
Soak 2 cups of unsalted cashew in water overnight (see Note 1). Remove the pits from the dates and discard. Soak the dates for 5 minutes with enough hot water to just cover, set aside.
Place the walnuts and almonds in a food processor and pulse for two minutes to start breaking down the nuts to a meal like consistency. Add the drained dates, water and kosher salt and pulse again for a minute or two until the dough comes together.
Divide the nut dough into each tart shell and form the shell, pressing down and up the sides to completely cover the tart pan (see Note 2). Refrigerate for 10 minutes to firm up.
Drain and rinse the soaked cashews with cold water. Place the drained cashews in a Vitamix or other high powered blender with almond milk, the maple syrup and vanilla. Blend on high for at least two minutes. Add freeze dried fruit if you like at this stage.
Spoon the cashew cream into each of the tart shells and top with the blackberries. Keep these refrigerated until ready to serve.
1. Soak the cashews in a 2:1 water to nut ratio. While soaking, any dirt and dust is removed as well as tannin. I read that tannin is basically nature's very own pesticide that keeps predators from eating them. The soaking process makes the nut easier to purée and better for digestive reasons, too.
2. I use non-stick tart shells, but if you don't, grease the tart shells with a little oil or vegetable spray.
Calories: 835kcal | Carbohydrates: 82.3g | Protein: 22.9g | Fat: 52.8g | Saturated Fat: 7.1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 13.4g | Monounsaturated Fat: 28.5g | Sodium: 261.2mg | Fiber: 14.4g | Sugar: 50.4g