Mexican Baked Chicken
Mexican Baked Chicken is perfect for a weeknight dinner. Lean chicken breasts and black beans with flavorful Tex Mex sauce. This meal is delicious and healthy too!
- 2-15 oz cans black beans drained
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 2 lbs chicken breasts (See Note 1)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups red enchilada sauce
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup cotija cheese crumbled
- cilantro for garnish
Preheat oven to 400°F. In a small bowl mix together the garlic, cumin, chili powder, kosher salt and pepper.
Place the black beans, onion and bell pepper in a rectangle 9x13" casserole dish that has been sprayed with cooking spray or vegetable oil.
Layer the chicken breasts on top of the black beans/vegetables and top with seasoning mixture.
Drizzle half of the red enchilada sauce on top of the chicken.
Bake covered with foil for 25 minutes, depending on the thickness of your chicken breasts. (See Note 1) Be sure chicken internal temp reads at least 160°F as it will continue to cook.
Remove from oven and top each chicken breast with the remaining red enchilada sauce and cheddar cheese. Put it back in the oven, uncovered for 5 minutes. We want a finished 165°F internal temp, check. Remove from oven and allow to rest 5 minutes before slicing or serving.
Sprinkle the cotija cheese crumbles over all and chopped cilantro (optional) for garnish.
- I use boneless and skinless chicken breast meat. To ensure that the chicken breasts cook evenly, you may want to use the flat side of a meat mallet to lightly pound the chicken breasts to an even thickness. Place the chicken between two sheets of plastic wrap or parchment paper to prevent it from sliding around or slice in half horizontally and pound between sheets of plastic wrap for even thickness.
- For best results, use an instant read thermometer to check the internal temperature of the chicken. It is properly cooked when it reaches internal temperature of 165°F.
Calories: 548kcal | Carbohydrates: 16g | Protein: 64g | Fat: 24g | Saturated Fat: 13g | Cholesterol: 206mg | Sodium: 1269mg | Potassium: 1028mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 1382IU | Vitamin C: 31mg | Calcium: 424mg | Iron: 2mg