Dill Pickle Baked Crispy Chicken Wings
Baked crispy chicken wings sit in pickle juice marinade to make them moist and juicy. Make these crispy wings; they're better than deep fried!
- 4 lbs chicken wings (See Note 1)
- 4 cups dill pickle juice/brine (from empty pickle jar)
- 5 tsp baking powder (NOT BAKING SODA!)
- 2 tsp dried dill
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp white pepper (optional)
- PAM/Oil spray
Place chicken in a shallow dish or resealable plastic bag. Pour pickle juice over the top and try to ensure all chicken is submerged. Cover and refrigerate for 1-4 hours (longer the better flavor penetration).
Remove from fridge, rinse and pat dry.
Heat oven to 250°F with racks in upper and lower positions. Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil.
In a small bowl whisk together the baking powder, dried dill, garlic powder, salt and white pepper.
Remove any moisture from chicken wings using a paper towel, patting dry all over.
Place chicken wings in a large bowl or zipper lock plastic bag and add the baking powder/spice mixture. Stir to coat or seal bag and shake to coat evenly all over.
Lay the chicken wing pieces in a single layer skin side up on a wire rack sprayed with cooking spray (PAM /Oil) in the prepared baking sheet.
Bake on lower rack for 30 minutes (this slowly renders the fat UNDER the skin). Move wings to upper rack, increasing the temperature to 425°F and bake for 40-45 minutes, rotating sheet pan if necessary for even golden brown crispiness.
Remove from oven and rest 5 minutes. Serve with sauce of choice. I prefer Ranch dressing with chopped dill and a diced dill pickle.
- If wings are already cut (not whole, tips removed) then use 3.5 pounds. Otherwise buy 4 pounds, remove tips and discard or save for chicken stock. Then using a sharp kitchen knife, split the wing into the drumstick and flat portions. I typically serve thinking a pound of wings per person (taking into account the bone weight).
Calories: 620kcal | Carbohydrates: 20g | Protein: 45g | Fat: 39g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Cholesterol: 189mg | Sodium: 1170mg | Potassium: 913mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 389IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 255mg | Iron: 3mg