Baked Santa Fe Chicken
Santa Fe chicken is an easy way to add a taste of the Southwest to your dinner, and it's quick! This baked chicken recipe cooks in 30 minutes!
- 2-15 oz cans black beans
- 4 chicken breasts boneless and skinless
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 4 oz green chiles diced
- 8.5 oz can of corn drained
- 4 slices Pepper jack cheese
- 1 1/2 cups green enchilada sauce
Preheat oven to 400°F. In a small bowl mix together the cumin, chili powder, kosher salt and pepper.
Place the black beans in a rectangle 9x12" casserole dish that has been sprayed with cooking spray or vegetable oil and sprinkle with 1/2 of the seasoning.
Layer the chicken breasts on top of the black beans and top with remaining seasoning mixture.
Sprinkle the onion, bell pepper, green chiles, corn and 1 cup of the green enchilada sauce on top of the chicken. Cover with aluminum foil.
Bake for 30 minutes, depending on the thickness of your chicken breasts. (See Note 1)
Remove from oven and add Pepper jack cheese slices and remaining enchilada sauce to each piece of chicken. Put it back in the oven, uncovered for 5 minutes. Allow to rest 5 minutes before slicing or serving.
- If chicken breasts are too thick (1 inch or more), slice in half horizontally and pound between sheets of plastic wrap for even thickness. For best results, use an instant read thermometer, the chicken is cooked when it reaches internal temperature of 165°F.
Calories: 604kcal | Carbohydrates: 59g | Protein: 56g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 170mg | Sodium: 924mg | Potassium: 955mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 51g | Vitamin A: 467IU | Vitamin C: 27mg | Calcium: 228mg | Iron: 2mg