Arroz Rojo (Mexican Red Rice) + Video
Arroz rojo is the perfect side dish for beef, chicken, pork and even fish. Make this recipe for fluffy, Mexican red rice for dinner tonight!
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 small onion chopped (3/4 cup)
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 medium carrot shredded (3/4 cup)
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 jalapeño seeded and diced (See Note 2)
- 1 cup long grain white rice rinsed, (See Note 1)
- 2 cups chicken stock
Heat oil over medium heat in a large saucepan or pot. Add the onion and sauté for 3 minutes. Add the garlic and stir for a minute. Add the carrot and sauté for 2 minutes more.
Add the cumin, salt, pepper, tomato paste and jalapeño. Stir and cook for 2 minutes, scraping bottom of pan and browned bits. Add the rice and sauté for several minutes.
Pour chicken stock into pot and stir to mix thoroughly. Bring to a boil and cover. Lower heat and simmer for 25 minutes or until all liquid has been absorbed.
Turn off heat and allow to rest 5 minutes and then fluff with a fork and serve with lime wedges and chopped cilantro.
- Rinsing the rice removes some of the starch, which prevents it from becoming clumpy.
- Diced jalapeño is included in the recipe, but was omitted from the dish in the photos because I didn't have one on hand.
Calories: 346kcal | Carbohydrates: 50g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 3mg | Sodium: 736mg | Potassium: 504mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 2870IU | Vitamin C: 8.7mg | Calcium: 46mg | Iron: 1.7mg