Italian Meatball Soup
My Italian Meatball Soup recipe has tender yet firm vegetables and pasta in a richly flavored broth scented with Marsala wine and tender beef meatballs.
Servings: 10 servings
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion diced
- 3 crushed garlic cloves
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 28 oz crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups carrots 2 peeled and sliced into 1/2" coins
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 3 ribs celery chopped
- 32 oz chicken stock
- 1/4 cup Marsala wine
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup small pasta shells orzo or pearl couscous
- 24 Italian beef meatballs (My recipe or frozen and thawed)
- 1 bunch spinach chopped (about 4 cups)
- 4 fresh basil leaves chopped for garnish
Thaw frozen meatballs or make my Classic Beef Meatballs. Set aside.
In a large soup pot or Dutch oven over medium heat add olive oil and sauté the onions for 3 minutes. Add the garlic and season with salt and red pepper flakes, cooking another 2 minutes.
Add the crushed tomatoes, carrots, broccoli and celery and sauté for another 5 minutes. Add the chicken stock and marsala wine (optional) and season with Italian Seasoning and bring to a boil, lower heat to simmer and cover. (See Note 3) Cook for 15 minutes.
Add the pasta or couscous, cooked meatballs and spinach. Stir to mix thoroughly and season to taste. Continue to cook on low, covered for 10 minutes or until meatballs are heated through. Serve with basil for garnish and lots of grated Parmesan cheese.
- I make my own beef meatballs, but feel free to use frozen if short on time.
- I like the flavor of the Marsala, but feel free to omit if you prefer.
- Optional flavor tip is to add a bit of Parmesan cheese rind to the soup as it simmers for an added kick. Discard when ready to serve.
Calories: 213.27kcal | Carbohydrates: 16.32g | Protein: 10.13g | Fat: 11.26g | Saturated Fat: 3.37g | Cholesterol: 26.91mg | Sodium: 301.96mg | Potassium: 406.74mg | Fiber: 2.2g | Sugar: 4.14g | Vitamin A: 4498.27IU | Vitamin C: 19.63mg | Calcium: 41.83mg | Iron: 0.98mg