Mom's Navy White Beans
A tried and true family recipe for white bean soup. Easily add sausage, franks or chicken for a heartier meal.
- 16 oz bag of white navy beans
- 1 large yellow onion chopped into bite size pieces
- 2 large carrots chopped into bite size pieces
- 2 celery stalks chopped into bite size pieces
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 4 sprigs of thyme tied
- 1 tsp salt and freshly ground black pepper
Soak the beans overnight in water covering the beans by 1 inch.
In a large soup or stock pot add the olive oil and the chopped onion, carrot, celery. Sauté for 6-8 minutes.
Drain the water from the beans and rinse. Add the beans to the stock pot with the sautéed vegetables and stir to mix in. Add the thyme bundle, garlic and fresh water to cover beans by 1 inch. Bring to a boil, cover and lower heat to simmer for 4 hours or until beans are soft, but not mushy (See Note 1).
Season to taste and serve with crusty bread.
- At this stage it can be seasoned to reflect whatever type of soup you want, be it French with thyme and tarragon, Mexican with cumin, Italian with Italian herbs, etc.
You can also add fresh franks from the butcher and cook for an additional 20 minutes, but sometimes I like to add chicken.
- If using a slow cooker cook on high for 4 hours. If using an Instant Pot, set to Manual for 20 minutes.
Serving: 1g | Calories: 125kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 3g | Sodium: 310mg | Potassium: 315mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 2615IU | Vitamin C: 3.8mg | Calcium: 55mg | Iron: 1.5mg