Chocolate Creme Brulee
Chocolate Creme Brulee - This classic French dessert gets a kiss from cocoa powder for a rich, indulgent chocolate version. Impress those dinner guests! This recipe needs 2 hours to chill prior to serving.
Servings: 8 servings
- 10 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 cups whipping cream
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder (use good quality, like Valrhona)
- 1/4 cup sugar for caramelizing tops after cooking
Preheat oven 300°F. Separate egg yolks from whites and save egg whites for another use.
In a large mixing bowl, beat together the egg yolks with the sugar until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture is a pale yellow. Add the whipping cream, vanilla, cocoa powder and beat on low until well blended.
I pour the mixture through a strainer into your 8 ramekins (See Note 1) or custard cups to get rid of any foam or bubbles. (See Note 2)
Place the filled ramekins into a large roasting pan with sides (13x9") and carefully pour hot water around ramekins so that the water almost reaches the top of ramekins. Bake until set, about 50 minutes.
Carefully remove pan from oven and leave in the water bath until cooled.
Remove ramekins from water bath, wipe water off and place in refrigerator to chill for at least 2 hours.
Prior to serving, remove from refrigerator and sprinkle about 2 teaspoons of sugar over each custard top. Using a small, hand-held torch melt the sugar until a burnt caramel is made. If you don't have a torch, place under the broiler until sugar melts. *Optionally - Re-chill the ramekins to harden the sugar for 15 minutes then serve. (See Note 3)
- The size I use here are 3 1/4" in diameter, 1 1/4" deep and hold roughly a 1/2 cup.
- I find pouring through a strainer eliminates any foam and leaves a smooth surface. This is purely optional.
- If not serving right away, do not do the sugar topping part. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate up to 2 days. Top with sugar and torch/broil before serving. It will not stay completely hard if done more than 3 hours prior.
Calories: 406kcal | Carbohydrates: 22g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 33g | Saturated Fat: 19g | Cholesterol: 346mg | Sodium: 39mg | Potassium: 90mg | Sugar: 19g | Vitamin A: 1420IU | Vitamin C: 0.4mg | Calcium: 77mg | Iron: 0.7mg