Tex-Mex Chicken Corn Soup
My Instant Pot Tex Mex Chicken Corn Soup is loaded with on hand pantry items, shredded chicken, lots of corn, green chilis and warm spices to fill you up.
Servings: 4 servings
- 2 large chicken breasts cooked (See Note 1)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 tbsp ground chili powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 carrots peeled and chopped
- 7 oz can diced green chilies
- 29 oz can whole kernel corn or 4 ears of corn, kernels cut off the cob
- 14.75 oz can cream sweet corn
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 12 oz can evaporated milk
- 1 large red bell pepper diced
- Cilantro chopped, for garnish
- Limes for garnish
In an Instant Pot or large soup pot over medium heat add the oil and sauté the onion and garlic for 2 minutes. Add the chili powder, cumin and salt. Stir and cook 2 minutes more.
Add the chicken, carrots, green chilis, corn kernels, cream of corn, corn starch, chicken stock and evaporated milk. Stir to combine and if using Instant Pot, close the lid and set to Soup. If cooking in a large soup pot, cover and simmer on low for 35 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Season to taste.
Serve with chopped cilantro, red bell peppers and limes to garnish.
1. I use the breast meat from a rotisserie chicken, but feel free to use what you like, about 1 pound total, shredded.
2. If you're converting meat from a slow cooker to an Instant Pot, follow this rule: if the meat dish cooks in eight hours on low or four hours on high in the slow cooker, it will cook in 25-30 minutes in the Instant Pot. Make sure the Instant Pot setting reads "sealing" and not "venting" to ensure it's cooked properly.
Calories: 774kcal | Carbohydrates: 102g | Protein: 48g | Fat: 24g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 104mg | Sodium: 1374mg | Potassium: 1904mg | Fiber: 12g | Sugar: 32g | Vitamin A: 7785IU | Vitamin C: 79mg | Calcium: 292mg | Iron: 4mg