Easy French Cassoulet Recipe
This comforting French Cassoulet recipe has juicy chicken, sausage, bacon and white beans that simmer away in a broth spiked with onion, garlic and herbs.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time1 hr 15 mins
Total Time1 hr 30 mins
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 lb pork belly cut into half inch pieces
- 2 lbs chicken thighs bone-in, skin on
- kosher salt
- black pepper
- 1 lb turkey sausage (See Note 1)
- 1 large onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp ground clove
- 2 stalks of celery chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 3 carrots peeled and chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 4-15 oz cans white cannellini beans drained
- 32 oz chicken stock
- 1 bunch thyme 12 pieces, tied
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley chopped
Preheat oven to 300°F.
Season chicken liberally on skin sides with kosher salt and black pepper. Set aside.
In a large skillet over medium high heat add the oil and brown the pork belly pieces. When golden brown and crispy, remove with slotted spoon and set aside.
Place the chicken thighs skin side down and sear until a golden brown for several minutes. Turn and brown the other side. Remove from skillet and set aside.
Brown the sausages on both sides in same skillet. Remove and set aide.
Add the onion to the skillet and sauté for several minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add the garlic and ground clove and cook another minute. Add the celery and carrots and cook for 3 minutes, scraping up the bottom of pan for any browned bits.
Spread the sautéed vegetables to a large roasting pan, Dutch oven or casserole dish. Add the beans and chicken stock. Next add the cooked meats and any pan juices, pressing them into the beans and vegetables. Add the thyme bundle and bay leaves.
Cook, uncovered for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
Remove thyme bundle and bay leaves. Season to taste. Place a chicken piece, a sausage and scoop of beans with vegetables on to each plate. Sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve with crusty French bread.
- I used a spicy Louisiana turkey sausage, but feel free to use any turkey or pork sausage. Using a fork, prick several holes in the sausage on both sides.
Calories: 1216kcal | Carbohydrates: 38g | Protein: 77g | Fat: 83g | Saturated Fat: 24g | Cholesterol: 354mg | Sodium: 1131mg | Potassium: 1376mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 8310IU | Vitamin C: 14.8mg | Calcium: 173mg | Iron: 7.1mg