Christmas Morning Breakfast Casserole
A classic baked bread and egg breakfast casserole with chunks of sausage, ham, mushrooms and lots of gooey cheese. Perfect for a holiday or weekend crowd. Perfect for a holiday or weekend crowd. Adapted from Bryan Voltaggio's recipe in Food & Wine.
Prep Time40 mins
Cook Time50 mins
Total Time1 hr 30 mins
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb ground breakfast sausage
- 1 medium red onion diced
- 1 red bell pepper cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 green bell pepper cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 lb crimini mushrooms sliced
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 8 large eggs
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 8 cups day-old challah sliced 1 inch thick and cut into 1-inch dice (3/4 lb) (See Note 1)
- 6 oz ham finely diced
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green onions
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
Grease a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with butter or cooking spray.
In a large skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the sausage and brown over medium heat, breaking up pieces with spoon and until the fat is rendered, about 3 minutes. Add the red onion and cook until lightly browned and tender, about 5 minutes. Add the bell peppers, kosher salt, pepper and cook, about 7 minutes. Let cool completely.
In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, cream, water and maple syrup. To the greased baking dish layer the bread, vegetable mixture, ham, green onion and cheese. Pour the egg mixture evenly over all and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate overnight to set.
Preheat oven to 350°F. Uncover the casserole and bake for about 50 minutes, until it’s just set and the top is browned. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- Feel free to use other breads like sourdough, bread rolls or wheat. Just be sure it's a day or two old and not too moist.
Calories: 792kcal | Carbohydrates: 32g | Protein: 31g | Fat: 59g | Saturated Fat: 27g | Cholesterol: 344mg | Sodium: 1008mg | Potassium: 620mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 2040IU | Vitamin C: 33.9mg | Calcium: 343mg | Iron: 3.4mg