Slow Cooker Smothered Pork Chops
These Slow Cooker Smothered Pork Chops are so tender and the onion gravy that smothers them is rich, savory and loaded with bacon. Serve over noodles.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time4 hrs 10 mins
Total Time4 hrs 25 mins
- 2 lbs pork chops (See Note 1)
- 1 tsp kosher salt divided
- 2 tsp black pepper divided
- 6 slices bacon (See Note 2)
- 1 large white onion halved and cut 1/2 inch slices
- 3 garlic cloves smashed and minced
- 2 tsp fresh thyme chopped
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp Tabasco or favorite hot sauce
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley chopped
- 1 lb egg noodles
In a large skillet over medium heat render and cook the bacon pieces until crispy. Set aside to drain on paper towel and reserve bacon fat in skillet.
Add onions to skillet and cook for several minutes. Add the garlic and thyme and season with half of the kosher salt and black pepper. Cook another 2 minutes and pour mixture in a slow cooker.
Season both sides of each pork chop with remaining salt and pepper. Lay on top of the onion mixture.
Mix together the chicken stock, soy sauce and Tabasco. Pour over pork chops. Close slow cooker lid and cook on low for 4 hours (See Note 3).
Bring heavily salted water to the boil and cook pasta per package directions, about 7 minutes. Reserve 1/2 cup pasta water for gravy.
Remove pork chops from slow cooker and tent with foil to keep warm. Turn slow cooker to high heat. Mix together the cornstarch and water and pour into onion mixture with the reserved pasta water and apple cider vinegar. Stir to mix and cook. Gravy will thicken.
Drain and set pasta in bowl or on serving platter. Lay pork chops on top of pasta and pour onion gravy over all. Sprinkle with crispy bacon and chopped parsley. Serve immediately.
- I use four 8-10 oz bone in blade cut pork chops that are about 1 inch thick. Also, make 1 or 2 slits in the fat on the outer side of each chop so they don't curl when cooking.
- I like to place my bacon in the freezer for 2-3 minutes to firm up and it makes it easier to slice into strips, optional.
- For Instant Pot version: Cook on manual for 8 minutes and 10 minutes to natural pressure release instead of 4 hour slow cooker method.
Calories: 968kcal | Carbohydrates: 90g | Protein: 70g | Fat: 34g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Cholesterol: 268mg | Sodium: 1235mg | Potassium: 1343mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 405IU | Vitamin C: 13mg | Calcium: 79mg | Iron: 4.2mg