Mango Chicken Curry
Mango Chicken Curry has an amazingly aromatic, sweet and spicy curry sauce that is made with puréed mango. Serve over steamed rice and warm naan bread.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Total Time35 mins
Servings: 6 servings
- 2 lbs chicken breast meat tenders or thigh fillets, cut into bite size pieces
- 16 oz mango chunks thawed if frozen
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 tbsp fresh grated ginger
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper (See Note 1)
- 2 tsp garam masala (See Note 2)
- 1 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup coconut milk or cream
- Cilantro for garnish
- 1/2 cup chopped cashews or almonds
Combine Marinade ingredients with the chicken in a bowl. Cover and refrigerate for an hour, overnight, or up to 24 hours.
Purée mango and set aside.
Heat the oil over high heat in a large fry pan. Add the marinated chicken and cook for 3-5 minutes, or until the chicken is white all over - it doesn't really brown due to the marinade.
Add the mango purée, sugar and salt. Stir to combine. Turn heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes uncovered. Sauce will thicken.
Season with salt if needed. Stir through the cream and simmer another 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
Garnish with cilantro leaves and chopped nuts. Serve over steamed jasmine, basmati or rice of choice.
- Use more or less cayenne, depending on the level of heat you like.
- Use more or less Garam Masala depending on your taste for heat. This is not a very hot dish, the spice blend is more flavor than heat. I think sometimes people confuse spicy with heat and there is a difference! 🙂
Calories: 399kcal | Carbohydrates: 19g | Protein: 37g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 97mg | Sodium: 578mg | Potassium: 892mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 13g | Vitamin A: 990IU | Vitamin C: 31.4mg | Calcium: 51mg | Iron: 3.2mg