Pico de Gallo
Pico de Gallo, often times referred to as salsa fresco, is a type of salsa using fresh, uncooked ingredients like diced tomatoes, onions, chiles, cilantro, lime juice, and salt. Perfect for dipping tortilla chips while drinking your favorite beverage.
- 8 large Roma tomatoes (See Note 1)
- 1/4 cup lime juice (See Note 2)
- 1 medium sweet onion chopped (See Note 3)
- 1 large jalapeño or Serrano chile diced (See Note 4)
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro leaves only
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
In a small bowl mix together the chopped onion and lime juice. Toss to coat and set aside for 15 minutes or so.
Add all the other ingredients to a bowl and combine, tossing to coat and season to taste. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes . Serve with tortilla chips or spoon over and dish you like as a garnish.
- About 2 cups of chopped Roma tomatoes (also known as Plum Tomatoes). Feel free to use whatever tomato variety you prefer.
- I use 2-3 large limes or if you can find them, the small juicy Mexican limes or Key Lime juice.
- You want about 3/4 cup, diced small.
- Be careful cutting chiles and wash your hands after. Cut the stems off and remove and discard the seeds. Cut into long strips, stack together and cut crosswise into small dice.
Calories: 35kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 1g | Sodium: 202mg | Potassium: 273mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 745IU | Vitamin C: 17.7mg | Calcium: 19mg | Iron: 0.4mg