Malaysian Braised Beef Short Ribs
My Malaysian Braised Beef Short Ribs are slowly cooked in a delicious coconut curry infused with cinnamon, fennel, dried chiles and other warm spices. You get the exotic flavors of Far East Malaysia right in your home kitchen using pantry spices and beef short ribs that are incredibly tender, unctuous and mouth watering.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time3 hrs
Total Time3 hrs 15 mins
Servings: 6 servings
Coconut Curry Sauce
- 6 garlic cloves
- 3 lemon grass stalks ends trimmed and chopped
- 2 red Fresno chiles or jalapeños, seeds removed
- 1 shallot chopped
- 2 tbsp ginger paste (See Note 1)
- 2 13.5- oz. cans coconut milk
- 1 tbsp Malaysian Curry Powder (See Note 2)
- 1 cup cilantro leaves for garnish
- Fresh limes for serving sliced
Rub Malaysian Curry Powder spice blend on all sides of each short rib, pressing to adhere. Allow to rest for 1 hour or overnight covered and refrigerated.
In a food processor or blender add garlic, lemon grass, chiles, shallot and ginger and purée until broken down and chopped well. Add curry powder and coconut milk. Process for 1-2 minutes, it will not be completely smooth.
Allow short ribs to come to room temperature. In a large Dutch oven add the oil and brown short ribs on all sides.
Preheat oven to 325°F.
Pour coconut curry sauce over browned short ribs and cover. Bake for 3 hours. After 1 hour check to see that liquid level is at least half way up on short ribs and add water if needed. Spoon sauce over short ribs, cover and continue braising.
If using bone in short ribs, remove bone and discard. Serve beef short ribs over steamed rice and top with cilantro and lime slices.
- If you can't find ginger paste, substitute 2" piece of ginger, peeled, chopped.
- Feel free to substitute any curry powder, but my Malaysian Curry Powder spice blend is perfect for this.
Calories: 606kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 44g | Fat: 43g | Saturated Fat: 24g | Cholesterol: 130mg | Sodium: 160mg | Potassium: 1125mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 285IU | Vitamin C: 16.4mg | Calcium: 71mg | Iron: 9.3mg