Mini Taco Hand Pies
Think of a burrito or taco filling wrapped up in a flakey pastry dough baked until all golden and delicious. That's what you get with these easy to make Mini Taco Hand Pies. Makes 24.
Prep Time25 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time40 mins
Servings: 24 servings
- 1 lb ground beef (80/20)
- 1 red onion medium, chopped
- 2 tbsp Taco Seasoning Spice Blend (See Note 1)
- 1 cup refried beans (See Note 2)
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup pepper jack cheese shredded
- 4 pie crusts (frozen/thawed 2 packages double pie crusts)
- 1 egg beaten
Preheat oven to 400°F.
In a large skillet brown ground beef, red onion and Taco Seasoning Spice Blend over medium heat, breaking up to crumble.
Add the refried beans and stir in cheese. Set aside to cool slightly. Meat mixture will thicken.
On a lightly floured surface, roll out a pie crust to about 1/4 inch thickness. Using a 4 inch round circular mold (I used the refried beans container lid) cut 6 circles, re-rolling dough if needed. Repeat with other pie crusts for 24 circles.
Top each dough circle with about 2 tablespoons of the filling. Fold in half and press edges with a fork to seal. (You can use a 4-inch mold or dumpling press if you have one). Place on a lined baking sheet. (See Note 3)
Brush the tops and sides with beaten egg then pierce the top of each with a fork. Bake for about 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- See my Taco Seasoning Spice Bend Recipe or use your favorite.
- I buy a pint of refried beans and used 8 oz (1 cup) to keep the beef mixture holding together, but not too loose.
- These can be frozen and sealed in an air tight freezer bag or container at this point for future use. Brush with egg wash after thawed and follow remaining instructions.
Calories: 207kcal | Carbohydrates: 15g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 24mg | Sodium: 233mg | Potassium: 91mg | Fiber: 1g | Vitamin A: 80IU | Vitamin C: 0.4mg | Calcium: 49mg | Iron: 1.3mg