Easy Chicken Korma
A Korma is an Indian dish consisting of meat or vegetables that are braised with yogurt or cream and spices to produce a thick sauce. For my Easy Chicken Korma I give traditional whole spice substitutions, use almond butter instead of soaking and puréeing the nuts, and use chopped, boneless chicken. The sauce is amazing and is perfect served over rice.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time28 mins
Total Time38 mins
Servings: 4 servings
- 2 lbs chicken breasts cut into 1" pieces (boneless, skinless)
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 green cardamom pods (See Note 1)
- 2 black cardamom pods (See Note 1)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cinnamon stick , 1-inch piece (See Note 2)
- 4 cloves (See Note 3)
- 1/8 tsp cayenne powder
- 1 onion large, chopped
- 2 tbsp ginger paste (See Note 6)
- 2 tbsp garlic paste (See Note 6)
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup almond butter (See Note 4)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp chili powder (See Note 5)
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped for garnish
- 1/4 cup almonds or cashews toasted and chopped for garnish
Chop onion and set aside. In a bowl whisk together the yogurt, almond butter, water, chili, salt and turmeric powder and set aside.
In a large skillet heat the oil over a medium heat. Add the whole spices and fry for 2 minutes. If using ground spices, fry for 1 minute. Add the chopped onion and stir, sauté for 10 minutes until translucent.
Add the garlic and ginger pastes, stir to mix and cook for 2 minutes.
Add the chopped chicken pieces, stir to mix and cook for 5 minutes.
Add the yogurt mixture, stir to mix in, lower heat and cover. Cook for 10 minutes. Season to taste.
Garnish with chopped cilantro and chopped nuts.
- For the 4 green AND 2 black cardamom pods substitute 1/2 tsp ground cardamom total.
- For the 1" cinnamon stick substitute 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon total.
- For the 4 whole cloves, substitute 1/8 tsp ground clove.
- Feel free to substitute cashew butter for the almond butter. It's absolutely delicious as well!
- For more heat ADD 1/4 tsp cayenne powder total.
- Use 1/4 teaspoon of ground ginger for every tablespoon of fresh ginger and use 1/2 teaspoon of ground garlic for every tablespoon of fresh garlic. Powdered ginger is more potent.
Calories: 506kcal | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 55g | Fat: 25g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 145mg | Sodium: 275mg | Potassium: 1118mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 135IU | Vitamin C: 7.6mg | Calcium: 135mg | Iron: 2.2mg