Brazilian Braised Pork in Passion Fruit, Orange and Guajillo Peppers
Brazilian Braised Pork. This slow simmered pork is braised in a blended passion fruit, orange and guajillo chiles until fall apart deliciousness happens.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time4 hrs
Total Time4 hrs 10 mins
Servings: 8 servings
- 4 lb pork shoulder
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp kosher salt
- 1 tbsp Mexican dried oregano
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 11.5 oz can Welch’s Passion Fruit and Orange Juice Cocktail Concentrate
- 8 dried guajillo chiles soaked (See Note 1)
- 10 garlic cloves
- 1 jalapeño pepper stem removed
- 2 onions cut up into chunks
Remove stems from dried guajillos and shake out excess seeds. Pour hot water over them to cover and allow to soak at least 30 minutes to an hour. Remove chiles from water and purée with garlic, jalapeño pepper, can of Passion Fruit and Orange Juice Cocktail Concentrate and 1/2 cup of water from soaking the peppers. Set aside.
Preheat oven to 325°F. Cube up the pork into 8 large chunks. Quarter each onion and quarter each again for 16 pieces. Rub salt, oregano and cumin all over pork and place in an oiled 13x9” roasting pan. Pour chile juice mixture over the pork and onions and slow roast for 4 hours. Remove bone if any and shred meat in pan.
Serve shredded and make tacos, roll inside enchiladas or stuff a fluffy ciabatta roll with a drizzle of Mexican Crema, a squeeze of lime and chopped cilantro leaves.
- I substitute the guajilla here for it’s smoky flavor, the typical Brazilian pepper is the malagueta. On the Scoville scale, which measures the spicy heat of chili peppers, the malagueta ranges from 60,000 to 100,000 units. That is the middle range of hot chilis, think Tabasco pepper and Thai Bird's-eye chile hot. If the Guajillo chile pepper is not available for you, there are 3 good substitutes. The Ancho pepper, the Pasilla and the Cascabel can work.
Calories: 269kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 28g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 92mg | Sodium: 983mg | Potassium: 686mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 1045IU | Vitamin C: 27.9mg | Calcium: 51mg | Iron: 2.5mg