Root Beer Glazed Slow Cooker Pulled Pork
This Root Beer Glazed Slow Cooker Pulled Pork is juicy, tender and sticky sweet with a bite, and gets a dose of reduced root beer for an extra flavor punch!
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time8 hrs
Total Time8 hrs 10 mins
- 4 lb pork shoulder
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1 tsp ground fennel seed (See Note 1)
- 1/2 tsp celery seed
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 bottles root beer (2-12 oz bottles)
- 24 oz favorite BBQ sauce (See Note 2)
Mix the chili, garlic and onion powders, salt, dry mustard, paprika and ground fennel and celery seeds together with a whisk in a small bowl. Rub the pork shoulder all over and press dry rub into the meat. Set aside.
Chop an onion and place in the bottom of a slow cooker. Place the dry rubbed pork shoulder on top of the onions and pour 1 bottle of root beer and your favorite BBQ sauce over the pork. Cover and cook on Low for 8 hours.
Pour 1 bottle of root beer in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and turn to medium-low and simmer for 15-20 minutes until reduced to about 1/3 cup of syrup.
Remove cooked pork to a plate, remove any bone and pull the pork (shred). Set aside.
Pour the onion, root beer and BBQ sauce mixture from slow cooker into the saucepan with the root beer reduction and either use a hand immersion blender or pour it into a blender and purée. Cook and reduce until it is a catsup like consistency and pour over the pulled pork.
Serve the glazed pulled pork on a roll or bun of choice with coleslaw.
- Add the chili, garlic and onion powders, salt, dry mustard, paprika and fennel and celery seeds to a spice grinder or food processor and pulse several times to blend if you only have whole fennel seeds to start with. I keep ground fennel seeds on hand in a small airtight container for different spice blends.
- I love Loveless Cafe's Sweet with a Bite BBQ Sauce, but feel free to use whatever you like. I have found that a heavily smoked BBQ sauce tends to overpower and diminish the flavor of the root beer glaze, so taste test your favorite brand first with a little bit to see if it is too smokey/strong and loses the root beer flavor. You want to still be able to taste that root beer!
Calories: 364kcal | Carbohydrates: 37g | Protein: 28g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 92mg | Sodium: 1282mg | Potassium: 717mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 28g | Vitamin A: 520IU | Vitamin C: 2.6mg | Calcium: 58mg | Iron: 2.6mg