Peanut Butter and Jelly Semifreddo
Taking flavors from the American classic sandwich, this Peanut Butter and Jelly Semifreddo is more like a frozen mousse than ice cream, perfect anytime!
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time20 mins
Servings: 12 servings
- 4 cups fresh strawberries , quartered (See Note 1)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 cups heavy cream or whipping cream (See Note 2)
- pinch of kosher salt
- 1 cup peanut butter (chunky or creamy)
- 1 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup roasted peanuts
Trim the tops off the strawberries and cut into quarters. In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat cook the strawberries, sugar and lemon juice until the berries have broken down into a thick, chunky jam, about 15 minutes. Time may vary on size of berries, sometimes water content increases time. Stir occasionally. Turn off heat and allow to cool.
In a mixer with chilled bowl, whip the heavy cream and salt until medium stiff peaks form. Microwave the peanut butter for 30 seconds to slightly melt. On low, or gently by hand, whisk the peanut butter, sweetened condensed milk and yogurt into whipped cream until all is completely blended.
Carefully add half the strawberry jam and fold until slightly mixed and streaking red. Add balance of jam and fold several times, keeping it somewhat chunky and marbled.
Transfer to a parchment-lined freezer-safe container (I sometimes use a meatloaf pan) and cover loosely with plastic wrap, then foil to help freeze. 4 hours will make a firm, chilled, semifreddo. (See Note 3). Serve topped with roasted peanuts. Use within 3 days.
- 4 cups of cut strawberries will cook down to 2 cups, which is what we need.
- Heavy cream has a higher fat content than whipping cream, coming in at 36%, while whipping cream is 30% fat. They both whip into homemade whipped creams, but whipping cream makes a lighter, fluffier version and and would also be perfect for this semifreddo.
- Times may vary with your freezer. If made ahead and frozen over 6 hours, allow to rest on the counter for 10 minutes before scooping.
Calories: 422kcal | Carbohydrates: 29g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 30g | Saturated Fat: 13g | Cholesterol: 63mg | Sodium: 176mg | Potassium: 396mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 24g | Vitamin A: 655IU | Vitamin C: 29.6mg | Calcium: 130mg | Iron: 0.8mg