Mediterranean Flatbread Melts
These Mediterranean Flatbread Melts are super easy, made with browned lamb, hummus and feta cheese and the flatbread is made with refrigerated pizza dough.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Total Time25 mins
Servings: 6 servings
- 1 lb ground lamb
- 2 tbsp Turkish Spice blend separated (See Notes)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 15 oz cans garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
- 1/4 cup parsley leaves
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 lemon (juice of half and zest)
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 refrigerated thin pizza crust (11 0z can Pillsbury™ )
- 1/2 cup feta cheese
- parsley , chopped for garnish
In a large, heavy bottomed skillet, brown ground lamb and 1 tablespoon of Turkish Spice blend with olive oil and break down into small crumbles. Remove from pan, drain on paper towel, and set aside. Leave oil in pan. Set aside.
Drain 1 can of garbanzo beans. Pat dry with paper towel and fry in skillet with remaining oil. Season with 1 tablespoon of Turkish Spice blend (See Notes) and cook until crispy. Set aside.
In a food processor purée the other can of drained garbanzo beans, parsley, garlic, tahini sauce, salt and juice from half of the lemon until smooth. Set side.
In a small bowl whisk together the yogurt and zest of half a lemon. Set aside. Turn on broiler.
Divide the pizza dough into six equal portions. Flatten and stretch with hand into a rectangle. Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in the same skillet. Fry the dough for one minute on each side or until golden crispy and brown. Remove and place on a paper towel to drain. Repeat until all six are browned using more oil if needed.
Spread 2 tablespoons of hummus on each fried flatbread. Top with browned lamb, crumble feta cheese on top an place under broiler for a minute to melt cheese. Remove from broiler, drizzle with lemon yogurt, sprinkle with pan fried chickpeas and top with chopped parsley.
Turkish Spice Blend
- 1/2 cup kosher salt
- 2 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp black and pink peppercorns , each
- 2 tsp oregano
- 5 Turkish bay leaves
- 2 tsp sweet paprika
- 2 tsp sumac
- 1 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup chopped dried cilantro
- To make the spice mixture in a small sauté pan toast the cumin and peppercorns until the seeds start to pop, several minutes. Do not burn. Remove from pan and place in spice grinder with oregano, Turkish bay leaves and grind until powder.
- Add the chopped cilantro to the sauté pan and gently toast and dry over low heat slightly until dried.
- In a small bowl mix the ground spices with the kosher salt, paprika, sumac, cayenne pepper, sesame seeds and dried cilantro. Store in a airtight container.
Calories: 686kcal | Carbohydrates: 62.4g | Protein: 30.9g | Fat: 3.1g | Saturated Fat: 12.3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 4.9g | Monounsaturated Fat: 14.7g | Cholesterol: 71.6mg | Sodium: 1119mg | Fiber: 10.7g | Sugar: 8.8g