Lamb Tagine with Dates and Apricots
This Lamb Tagine with Dates and Apricots has coriander, cinnamon and saffron mixed with the onion, garlic and almonds that simmer and the lamb is beyond tender. Adapted from Lamb Tagine with Prunes, Apricots and Honey from Tagines and Couscous by Ghillie Basan.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time1 hr 45 mins
Total Time1 hr 55 mins
- 1 tbsp olive oil and 1 tbsp butter (See Note 1)
- 2 tbsp blanched almond slivers
- 2 red onions diced
- 3 cloves garlic smashed and diced
- 2 tbsp ginger paste
- pinch of saffron threads
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 tsp coriander seeds crushed
- 1 lb lamb cubed shoulder or leg
- 8 dates seeded
- 8 dried apricots
- 4 strips of orange peel
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1/2 tsp Ras el Hanout optional
- kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper
Heat the butter and oil in a tagine (See Note 2), or heavy casserole baking dish. Stir in the almonds and sauté until golden. Add the diced onions and garlic, stir and cook over low heat until golden. Stir in the ginger paste, saffron, cinnamon sticks and coriander seeds. Add the cubed lamb pieces and stir to make sure everything is coated with the onion and spices. Sauté for 4 minutes.
Next pour enough water in to cover the meat and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 1 hour or until meat is tender.
Add the dates, apricots and orange peel, stir to mix and cover. Simmer for 20 minutes.
Stir in the honey and ras-el-hanout (optional) and simmer another 10 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. The sauce should be syrupy. If it is too watery, allow to simmer and thicken with lid off for 5 minutes, or add some water if necessary.
Top with chopped cilantro and serve along side couscous and bread of choice.
- You can also substitute the butter and oil for 2 tbsp ghee.
- Be sure to have cured your tagine prior to it's first use (good post here) and use a diffuser between the tagine and the heat source, be it flame electric burner.
Serving: 1g | Calories: 371kcal | Carbohydrates: 41g | Protein: 26g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 73mg | Sodium: 83mg | Potassium: 758mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 28g | Vitamin A: 12.5% | Vitamin C: 25.6% | Calcium: 10% | Iron: 18.5%