For a twist on the traditional, these Southwest inspired Whipped Potatoes with Cilantro Pesto start with Russet potatoes that are cooked until fork tender then mashed with cream, milk, butter and a beautiful herb pesto that gets folded in.
Do you call them mashed or whipped potatoes?
Whatever you call these potatoes they get a Southwest twist of flavor marbled throughout to add that punch. Sure there’s cream and butter, but this pesto made from parsley, cilantro, pine nuts and parmesan cheese is incredibly delish.
This recipe comes via Bobbly Flay and it’s a winner at his MESA Grill restaurant and a favorite of mine that I thought I’d share with you.
While I was inspired by the original recipe, I’ve added more potato as I found it to be really loose and I also added more garlic and a pinch of red pepper flakes to my cilantro pesto.
While I LOVE good, creamy mashed potatoes, especially covered in gravy, I also like to experiment with seasonings and flavors so when I first tried this over a year ago I knew it had to share it with you to make an appearance on the holiday table.
Or any time of year actually!
Whatever the season or reason I really hope you give this one a try. I had these mashed potatoes with my Glazed Crown Roast of Pork the other evening and it was a huge hit.
Whipped Potatoes with Cilantro Pesto
- 4 lbs russet potatoes peeled and quartered
- 1 tbsp kosher salt
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- 8 tbsp butter
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cup parsley leaves
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 tsp Kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
- In a food processor combine cilantro, parsley, garlic, pine nuts and salt then process until smooth. With the motor running, slowly drizzle the olive oil until emulsified and thickened. Add the cheese and pulse a few times until combined. Set aside.
- Place cut potatoes in a large pot and cover with cold water by an inch. Stir in the 1 tablespoon of kosher salt and bring to a boil over high heat and cook until fork tender, 25 minutes. Drain and return them to the pot.
- Combine the cream, milk and butter in a microwave safe bowl and heat to melt butter, or in a small saucepan, bring to a simmer over low heat until butter is melted. Pour mixture into the potatoes and mash until smooth.
- Carefully fold the cilantro pesto into the mashed potatoes to allow for ribbons of pesto (See Note 1) and serve.
- Gently fold the cilantro pesto into the whipped/mashed potatoes so you can see ribbons throughout instead of incorporating completely.