You know there are times when a one pan meal sounds great, but honestly it’s not that much more effort to get your timing right and have a meal come together hot off the grill and right out of the oven, too. Take this Turkish Grilled Chicken and Roasted Vegetables with Lemon and Basil for instance.
This Turkish Grilled Chicken starts with chicken that was seasoned with a spice blend of warm spices like cumin, cayenne, sumac and peppercorns. I serve this with roasted vegetables topped with basil and lemon.
I seasoned the chicken and allowed them to marinate first while the grill and oven heated up. Next, I cut up the vegetables, tossed them in seasoning and a little olive oil and roasted them. Then the chicken was timed to go on the grill and be cooked when the vegetables were almost done roasting.
To plate this I tossed the chicken and vegetables together, allowing for the flavors to meld and squeezed some of the roasted lemons and chopped basil on top for a fragrant and tasty meal made in minutes.
For this vegetable roasting medley I used sliced Brussels sprouts, broccoli and cauliflower florets. Pay attention that the vegetables stay similar in size for even roasting. Toss with olive oil and my Turkish Spice Blend and place on a roasting pan. Set aside.
The idea is simple in fact, just like one of this site’s most viewed posts, Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Balsamic Vinegar & Honey. Simply toss the cut vegetables in olive oil, kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper, roast in the oven and then in a bowl, toss and coat with honey and balsamic vinegar. For this recipe though we omit the honey and balsamic and squeeze the roasted lemon over the vegetables at finish.
I also added to the vegetables some quartered lemons for the acid and flavor, along with some halved small red and golden potatoes as the starch element. The little potatoes get creamy on the inside and caramelized on the outside.
As for the chicken, I tossed them in the same Turkish Spice Blend that I use on another favorite of Pinterest, my Turkish Roasted Chickpeas. Made up of cumin, black peppercorns, oregano, bay leaves, paprika, cayenne and sumac, these are grilled and then added to the roasted vegetables.
To finish it all off add some sesame seeds and chopped basil on top and squeeze the roasted lemon all over for one delicious meal. Enjoy!
This recipe originally appeared here on Kevin Is Cooking back in April 2015 and has been updated with a new video. I also have moved the previously included Turkish Spice Blend recipe to it’s own separate post to avoid any confusion on the amount used in this recipe. Only 4 tablespoons of that recipe are used in this one, NOT the entire recipe.
Turkish Grilled Chicken and Roasted Vegetables
- 1 lb chicken tenders
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tbsp Turkish Spice Blend (separated)
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 2 cups cauliflower florets
- 2 cups brussels sprouts halved
- 12 small red/white potatoes halved
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 lemons quartered
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup chopped basil
- Preheat oven to 450° F. Start grill.
- In a bowl toss together the chicken, olive oil and 2 tablespoons of the Turkish Spice Blend. Cover and place in the refrigerator while cutting vegetables.
- Slice brussels sprouts and potatoes in half, cut broccoli and cauliflower into florets. Quarter the lemons. Pay attention that the vegetables stay similar in size for even roasting. Toss with olive oil and the 2 tablespoons of spice blend. Place on a lined roasting pan. Set aside.
- Roast the vegetables for 30 minutes and then start to grill the chicken 5 minutes per side for a total of 40 minutes total cook time.
- Remove chicken from grill, remove vegetables from oven and toss together onto a platter. Squeeze roasted lemon juice over and top with sesame seeds and chopped basil. Season to taste with kosher salt and serve.