Need an idea on what to do with all the Christmas dinner turkey leftovers? Tired of sandwiches and soup? How about combining two favorites after holiday time with a little cheddar cheese for this Turkey Green Bean Casserole Gratin.
I’m definitely one who enjoys the traditional green bean casserole and around our house it’s made more than just around the holidays. I don’t usually use canned, processed goods because I prefer fresh, but for this recipe feel free to use whatever you choose.
Recently I posted on how to make Homemade Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup and it’s one of the ingredients for this dish. Instead of canned green beans I had a 16 ounce bag of French green beans (haricot vert), which is about 4 cups trimmed to use. The flavor is better than canned and the color makes this dish shine.
With the leftover turkey from a pre-Christmas dinner we’ve had I used the white meat from the Roasted Turkey with Compound Butter Rub. This was one moist and flavorful turkey and worked perfectly in this casserole.
With a little bit of some sharp cheddar cheese grated on top of the green bean and turkey mixture this would be perfect!
Another key ingredient in this is the traditional crispy onions that go on top. I could just as easily fry some up myself, but I like to use French’s French Fried Onions.
The green beans got a 4 minute boil in salted water to stay a little al dente unlike the canned, then a quick shock in iced water to keep their bright green color.
It really doesn’t take that much more effort to make things from scratch, you know everything that goes into your meal and the less chemicals and preservatives the better. Don’t you deserve it? I say yes. Enjoy!
How about using holiday turkey leftovers and make the traditional green bean casserole with cheddar cheese for one amazing and hearty comfort food meal.
- 4 cups green beans
- 1 1/4 cup condensed cream of mushroom soup see recipe
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 tsp fresh black pepper
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 4 cups chopped turkey meat
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 6 oz French Fried Onions
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Blanch trimmed green beans in boiling, salted water for 4 minutes. Remove with slotted spoon and shock in a bowl of ice water to cool and keep bright color. Drain and set aside.
- In a bowl whisk together the condensed soup, milk, black pepper and Worcestershire sauce.
- Place the blanched green beans, chopped turkey and 2/3 cup onions in a 9x9” casserole sprayed with cooking spray. Pour the soup mixture over. Top with 1 cup cheddar cheese and bake for 25 minutes. Top with remaining crispy onion stand bake for 5 minutes.