This authentic Creamy Thai Red Curry with Chicken is a quick and easy stir-fry made with chicken, bell peppers and uses a homemade Red Curry Paste, but feel free to use store bought. Packed with flavor with a hint of heat, this curry sauce is simply irresistible.
There is something about Thai food that is so clean and robust. While this rich and delicious curry is made with Thai Red Curry Paste, coconut milk and some peanut butter, it is the simplicity with which this comes together that’s so refreshing. In other words, this may look like it’s going to take a lot of work, but it doesn’t.
This post all started because I wanted to make some sourdough bagels and when I went to look at my sourdough starter I realized I had neglected it. Mind you I was away for a few weeks on a recent vacation to India, but I should have fed it and kept it going upon my return. Bad Kevin.
Why am I talking about bagels and sourdough with a Thai recipe you might ask? I needed cooked potatoes!
I use the water from boiling potatoes in my sour dough starter.
So I boiled some potatoes so I could use the water in my new sourdough starter. You can read all about it in my previous post on making a sourdough starter from scratch, unless you use store bought, or one found online. I’d use the potatoes in my dinner, which happened to be this Creamy Thai Red Curry with Chicken.
To make this really authentic in flavor, kaffir lime leaves are perfect for their distinct aroma. The essence of lime in them is unreal. The leaves get stir fried in the curry sauce and release their citrus essential oils. You don’t eat them. Look for them in the produce section of your local grocer and in most Asian markets, it’s worth it.
The sweetness from the coconut milk, the melodic flavors rolling over your tongue from the curry paste and the creamy, nutty flavor of the peanut butter accent and bring it all together.
I make this with and without the peanut butter, so don’t feel you have to add it, but it is quite delicious. This is a house favorite and comes together in under 30 minutes. Not bad, huh?
Sliced, fresh and colorful bell peppers of red, yellow and orange are the main vegetable and kaffir lime leaves add that brightness.
I like to add fresh, chopped mint and basil in this at the end before serving. With a squeeze of some fresh lime juice over the top this gets served with steamed brown rice on the side. A perfect and healthy dinner that easily takes you to Thailand without leaving your kitchen. Enjoy!
Creamy Thai Red Chicken Curry
- 1 lb chicken thigh or breast meat, sliced thin
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2/3 cup Thai Red Curry Paste
- 1/4 cup fish sauce
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1 tbsp sugar or palm sugar
- 4 leaves kaffir lime, optional (See Note 1)
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 red fresno chile or jalapeño sliced (See Note 2)
- 2 cups mixed bell pepper sliced thin strips
- 1 large potato peeled, cubed and cooked
- 1 tbsp each chopped mint and basil
- In a wok or large skillet over medium heat add the oil and curry paste. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the chicken and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Add the fish sauce, peanut butter, sugar, kaffir lime leaves chile, coconut milk and stir. Bring to a simmer and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add sliced bell peppers, cooked potato cubes and cook another 3 minutes until chicken is cooked through. Sauce should thicken and reduce.
- Sprinkle chopped mint and basil on top. Serve with steamed rice and sliced limes to squeeze on top.
2. The fresno chile looks like a red jalapeño pepper. For the heat a substitute can be a regular jalapeño.